Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
      Harriett?

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 11:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:29 PM

      Oliver,
      No I do not see that quotation in Jomini.  Any other idieas?  It seemed
      likely since Carman went to a military school, but did not find it
      there.
      Tom
      I was not sure I had read it there. Perhaps it is in his first book "Treatise on Great Military Operations", which was written while still in the French Army.
      I have a copy of it written in French and will see if I can find the quote tomorrow.

      You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

      O.G.

    • Oliver Gamble
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002

        The phrase is not in Jomini's first book. I didn't think it would be since it was written before he left Napoleon and joined the Russians. I have several other books on Napoleon and will see if I can find it in any of them.

        O.G.

      • ringgold61
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
          > You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
          Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

          > O.G.

          Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

          Mark A. Pflum
        • Oliver Gamble
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002

            >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
            Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

            >   O.G.

            Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

            Mark A. Pflum

            Correct.

            O.G.

          • Ray Ortensie
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
              were you looking for Louis?

              Ray

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

                >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                >   O.G.

                Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                Mark A. Pflum

                Correct.

                O.G.

              • moenwanda
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                  Hi Tom,

                  You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

                  http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
                  sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
                  20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
                  01

                  Very best,

                  Moe

                  --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                  > Dear Group,
                  > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                  scavengr
                  > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                  > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                  need not
                  > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                  it.
                  > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                  >
                  > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                  occupation, etc.
                  > for:
                  >
                  > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                  > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                  > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                  > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                  > 1/31/1861
                  > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                  Conven.
                  > 1864
                  > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                  into?
                  > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                  > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                  about
                  > Lincoln & Stanton
                  > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                  to the
                  > book.
                  >

                  > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                  on-line and
                  > searchable would be great.
                  >
                  > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                  "call the
                  > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                  >
                  > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                  1862.
                  > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                  >
                  > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                  wrote to
                  > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                  the enemy
                  > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                  >

                  > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                  second
                  > place is two copies!!!
                  > Thanks all!
                • moenwanda
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                    Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

                    http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

                    Moe

                    --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                    > Dear Group,
                    > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                    scavengr
                    > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                    > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                    need not
                    > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                    it.
                    > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                    >
                    > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                    occupation, etc.
                    > for:
                    >
                    > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                    > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                    > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                    > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                    > 1/31/1861
                    > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                    Conven.
                    > 1864
                    > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                    into?
                    > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                    > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                    about
                    > Lincoln & Stanton
                    > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                    to the
                    > book.
                    >

                    > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                    on-line and
                    > searchable would be great.
                    >
                    > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                    "call the
                    > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                    >
                    > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                    1862.
                    > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                    >
                    > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                    wrote to
                    > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                    the enemy
                    > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                    >

                    > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                    second
                    > place is two copies!!!
                    > Thanks all!
                  • Tom Clemens
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
                      Moe,
                      I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
                      Thanks
                      Tom

                      Monitoring Service trial
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM