Re: The Battlefield of Antietam pub. by O. T. Reilly 1906 Written by R.C. Miller

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
      Stephen,

      It is a later printing given your hints esp. the "Old Dunkard Church"
      caption stating: "Church Destroyed by Windstorm May 23, 1921." The
      copyright is on the last page also and under the printer's name
      is "2M-7-35" so maybe it was printed in July 1935--is that possible?

      <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

      > Stephen et al,
      >
      > Thanks to everyone especially Stephen for this history! If I win
      it,
      > I will let you know which version it is. The ad says it is 32 pages.
      >
      > Larry F.
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Larry,
      > >
      > > This volume was originally published in 1906 by R.C. Reilly of
      the
      > > Jenny Wade house in Gettysburg. That same year O.T. Reilly
      started
      > > publish the book and sold it with his blue stamp on the back
      inside
      > > cover.
      > >
      > > Very soon after, O.T. took out ten pages of photos and added his
      > > battlefield narrative and a printed copyright. If you can get a
      > copy
      > > before O.T. took out those pictures you have a real gem. There
      is,
      > for
      > > example, the earliest photo I know of showing the Iron Brigade's
      > Rocky
      > > Ledge on the west side of the Hagerstown Pike.
      > >
      > > The earlier versions including O.T.'s narrative still have a
      > wonderful
      > > array of battlefield views. The narrative, written by O.T., is
      from
      > > personal accounts he gathered over the years. You can take some
      of
      > them
      > > with a grain of salt, but I would use the same salt lick for any
      > story
      > > I have ever heard about the battle, so read them, share them,
      enjoy.

      > > Later versions, still, are detectable by the lack of a copyright
      on
      > the
      > > inside back cover. It was moved to the last page next to the
      > Bivouac of
      > > the Dead poem. Same photos but inferior paper - less glossy than
      > > earlier versions. The narrative has some spelling changes and a
      few
      > > small text omissions. Under the photos, the text is now in two
      > columns.
      > > The big tell (publishing date-wise) is that the photo of the
      Dunker

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
        Larry,

        That's a good point, Sherlock!