Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
      Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?
      Sorry for the confusion.

      >>> "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...> 08/15/08 12:36 PM >>>
      Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may reply through this venue or to my private email.

      We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
      From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
      Thank you

    • Jim Rosebrock
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
        Sign me up Tom
        Jim Rosebrock

        Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?

        Sorry for the confusion.

        >>> "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@hagerstown cc.edu> 08/15/08 12:36 PM >>>

        Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may reply through this venue or to my private email.

        We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.

        From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?

        Thank you

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008

          I'm there. Thanks.

          Stephen Recker

          On Friday, August 15, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

          > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
          > reply through this venue or to my private email.
          >
          > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac
          > at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some
          > car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us.
          > We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side
          > somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association
          > (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford
          > site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the
          > ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along
          > the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA
          > fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the
          > main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately
          > owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded
          > in the farmhouse wall.
          > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
          > away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
          > trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
          > thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
          > fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
          > vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff
          > for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is
          > tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
          > privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
          > meal!! Any takers?
          > Thank you
          >
          > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        • david lutton
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 21, 2008

            Please count me in for the 20th.

            David Lutton
[...]

            From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
            Thank you

          • workman_ian
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
              Stephen,

              I am almost ready for the crossing. I hope to clear up several
              historical errors and ficticious stories about Shepherdstown.

              Ian Workman

              > Tom,
              >
              > I'm there. Thanks.
              >
              > Stephen Recker
              >
              > On Friday, August 15, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
              >
              > > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You
              may
              > > reply through this venue or to my private email.
              > >
              > > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
              Potomac
              > > at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail
              some
              > > car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of
              us.
              > > We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side
              > > somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association
              > > (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual
              ford
              > > site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at
              the
              > > ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly
              along
              > > the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th
              PA
              > > fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing
              the
              > > main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also
              privately
              > > owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell
              embedded
              > > in the farmhouse wall.
              > > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short
              distance
              > > away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
              > > trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake
              the
              > > thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had
              our
              > > fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to
              our
              > > vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
              stuff
              > > for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is
              > > tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
              > > privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a
              good
              > > meal!! Any takers?
              > > Thank you
              > >
              > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
              > > Professor of History
              > > Hagerstown Community College

            • workman_ian
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008

                > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
                reply through this venue or to my private email.

                > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
                Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may
                entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a
                lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other
                side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
                Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the
                actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and
                look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff
                roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where
                the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After
                viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse,
                also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a
                shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
                > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
                away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
                trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
                thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
                fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
                vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
                stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-
                deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
                privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
                meal!! Any takers?
                > Thank you
                >

                > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
                > This is a test
              • Dean Essig
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                  You guys have a great time... wish I was there.

                  Complete reports and photos will be expected :-)

                  Dean

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                    Dean,

                    I concur!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                      Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                      is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                      be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                      I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                      backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                      down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                      ford is!

                      Steve

                      <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
                      > and low river.
                      >
                      > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
                      > backpack is a good idea?
                      >
                      > Larry F.

                    • Harry Smeltzer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                        I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I might be able to
                        make it!

                        Harry

                        Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                        is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                        be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                        I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                        backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                        down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                        ford is!

                        Steve

                        yahoogroups.com, "eighth_conn_inf"

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                          I sent instructions to you a few days ago, you didn't get them? Meet at 2:30 at Antietam VC, we'll car caravan to Dunleavy's home. Yes, dry shoes, maybe even pants.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                            Yes, I sent instructions by email a few days ago, not received? Meet at VC by 2:30 and we'll car caravan to jumping off point.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                              Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need it. Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                The wading was a terrific success. No one went swimming and we found
                                the likely ford after starting a bit too far downstream due to
                                finding a good trail down to the river on the MD side. The bottom
                                there was flat with few boulders or other obstacles clearly an
                                excellent place to get men, horses, and wagons across. The river was
                                low and the weather was just right for this walk.

                                Tom Clemens' tour combined with Ed Dunleavy's help leading the
                                expedition on the WV side was the best tour one could wish for. And
                                the victuals at the Dunleavy's after the tour ended the day perfectly.

                                There were several folks on the tour and I'm sure someone will be
                                able to mention who was there as well as supply some photos. It was
                                nice meeting everyone and I sincerely hope that this can become an
                                annual event. Perhaps even Harry can make it next time?

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                  Well, it surely helped it was such a beautiful September day to
                                  do so.....

                                  Is the MD state line at the shore of W Va like it is for
                                  Virginia?

                                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                                  <clemenst@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                                  > it.
                                  Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                                  > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                  > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                                  > might be
                                  able to
                                  > make it!
                                  >
                                  > Harry

                                  rain
                                  > > and low river.
                                  > >
                                  > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                                  > > backpack is a good idea?
                                  > >
                                  > > Larry F.

                                • Harry Smeltzer
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                    I hope so - I really wanted to be there. For now I'm looking for a volunteer to write something up for the SHAF website - hopefully with photos. Any takers?

                                    Harry

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                      Yes that's correct Gerry. Maryland owns the entire Potomac river, Virginia, and now West Virginia, begin above the flood plain on the south bank.

                                      Larry, thanks for the kind words, it was a great day.

                                      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                      wrote:

                                      > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                                      > it.
                                      Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                                      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                      > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                                      > might be
                                      able to
                                      > make it!
                                      >
                                      > Harry

                                      rain
                                      > > and low river.
                                      > >
                                      > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                                      > > backpack is a good idea?
                                      > >
                                      > > Larry F.

                                    • david lutton
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                        TOM,

                                        Just wanted to add my thanks to you and Ed and his group for a most unique tour! It ranks at the top of my battlefield trampings for 2008. Hope someone took photos, what a great day!!

                                        David Lutton
                                        Hollidaysburg Pa