Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
      Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may reply through this venue or to my private email.

      We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
      From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
      Thank you

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008

        For those of us who can not participate, can you provide a good
        AAR and photos?

        (AAR = After Action Report)

[...]

        From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short
        distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and
        all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will
        slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we
        have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to
        take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once.
        All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person
        donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any
        better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield,
        helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
        Thank you

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008

          Please sign me up.

          Larry F.

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
            Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?
            Sorry for the confusion.

            >>> "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...> 08/15/08 12:36 PM >>>
            Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may reply through this venue or to my private email.

            We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
            From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
            Thank you

          • Jim Rosebrock
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
              Sign me up Tom
              Jim Rosebrock

              Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?

              Sorry for the confusion.

              >>> "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@hagerstown cc.edu> 08/15/08 12:36 PM >>>

              Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may reply through this venue or to my private email.

              We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.

              From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?

              Thank you

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008

                I'm there. Thanks.

                Stephen Recker

                On Friday, August 15, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
                > reply through this venue or to my private email.
                >
                > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac
                > at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some
                > car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us.
                > We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side
                > somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association
                > (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford
                > site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the
                > ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along
                > the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA
                > fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the
                > main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately
                > owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded
                > in the farmhouse wall.
                > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
                > away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
                > trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
                > thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
                > fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
                > vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff
                > for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is
                > tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
                > privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
                > meal!! Any takers?
                > Thank you
                >
                > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

              • david lutton
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 21, 2008

                  Please count me in for the 20th.

                  David Lutton
[...]

                  From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
                  Thank you

                • workman_ian
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                    Stephen,

                    I am almost ready for the crossing. I hope to clear up several
                    historical errors and ficticious stories about Shepherdstown.

                    Ian Workman

                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > I'm there. Thanks.
                    >
                    > Stephen Recker
                    >
                    > On Friday, August 15, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
                    >
                    > > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You
                    may
                    > > reply through this venue or to my private email.
                    > >
                    > > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
                    Potomac
                    > > at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail
                    some
                    > > car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of
                    us.
                    > > We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side
                    > > somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association
                    > > (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual
                    ford
                    > > site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at
                    the
                    > > ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly
                    along
                    > > the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th
                    PA
                    > > fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing
                    the
                    > > main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also
                    privately
                    > > owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell
                    embedded
                    > > in the farmhouse wall.
                    > > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short
                    distance
                    > > away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
                    > > trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake
                    the
                    > > thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had
                    our
                    > > fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to
                    our
                    > > vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
                    stuff
                    > > for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is
                    > > tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
                    > > privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a
                    good
                    > > meal!! Any takers?
                    > > Thank you
                    > >
                    > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
                    > > Professor of History
                    > > Hagerstown Community College

                  • workman_ian
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008

                      > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
                      reply through this venue or to my private email.

                      > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
                      Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may
                      entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a
                      lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other
                      side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
                      Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the
                      actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and
                      look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff
                      roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where
                      the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After
                      viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse,
                      also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a
                      shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
                      > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
                      away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
                      trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
                      thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
                      fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
                      vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
                      stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-
                      deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
                      privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
                      meal!! Any takers?
                      > Thank you
                      >

                      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
                      > This is a test
                    • Dean Essig
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                        You guys have a great time... wish I was there.

                        Complete reports and photos will be expected :-)

                        Dean

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                          Dean,

                          I concur!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                            Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                            is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                            be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                            I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                            backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                            down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                            ford is!

                            Steve

                            <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

                            > Tom,
                            >
                            > Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
                            > and low river.
                            >
                            > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
                            > backpack is a good idea?
                            >
                            > Larry F.

                          • Harry Smeltzer
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                              I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I might be able to
                              make it!

                              Harry

                              Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                              is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                              be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                              I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                              backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                              down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                              ford is!

                              Steve

                              yahoogroups.com, "eighth_conn_inf"

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                                I sent instructions to you a few days ago, you didn't get them? Meet at 2:30 at Antietam VC, we'll car caravan to Dunleavy's home. Yes, dry shoes, maybe even pants.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                                  Yes, I sent instructions by email a few days ago, not received? Meet at VC by 2:30 and we'll car caravan to jumping off point.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                                    Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need it. Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                      The wading was a terrific success. No one went swimming and we found
                                      the likely ford after starting a bit too far downstream due to
                                      finding a good trail down to the river on the MD side. The bottom
                                      there was flat with few boulders or other obstacles clearly an
                                      excellent place to get men, horses, and wagons across. The river was
                                      low and the weather was just right for this walk.

                                      Tom Clemens' tour combined with Ed Dunleavy's help leading the
                                      expedition on the WV side was the best tour one could wish for. And
                                      the victuals at the Dunleavy's after the tour ended the day perfectly.

                                      There were several folks on the tour and I'm sure someone will be
                                      able to mention who was there as well as supply some photos. It was
                                      nice meeting everyone and I sincerely hope that this can become an
                                      annual event. Perhaps even Harry can make it next time?

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                        Well, it surely helped it was such a beautiful September day to
                                        do so.....

                                        Is the MD state line at the shore of W Va like it is for
                                        Virginia?

                                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                                        <clemenst@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                                        > it.
                                        Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                                        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                        > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                                        > might be
                                        able to
                                        > make it!
                                        >
                                        > Harry

                                        rain
                                        > > and low river.
                                        > >
                                        > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                                        > > backpack is a good idea?
                                        > >
                                        > > Larry F.

                                      • Harry Smeltzer
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                          I hope so - I really wanted to be there. For now I'm looking for a volunteer to write something up for the SHAF website - hopefully with photos. Any takers?

                                          Harry

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                            Yes that's correct Gerry. Maryland owns the entire Potomac river, Virginia, and now West Virginia, begin above the flood plain on the south bank.

                                            Larry, thanks for the kind words, it was a great day.

                                            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                            wrote:

                                            > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                                            > it.
                                            Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                                            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                            > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                                            > might be
                                            able to
                                            > make it!
                                            >
                                            > Harry

                                            rain
                                            > > and low river.
                                            > >
                                            > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                                            > > backpack is a good idea?
                                            > >
                                            > > Larry F.

                                          • david lutton
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                              TOM,

                                              Just wanted to add my thanks to you and Ed and his group for a most unique tour! It ranks at the top of my battlefield trampings for 2008. Hope someone took photos, what a great day!!

                                              David Lutton
                                              Hollidaysburg Pa