Re: [TalkAntietam] question re South Mountain and Carman

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2008
      Gerry,

      If Tom hasn't seen maps of those areas, then I would consider that the
      last word.

      On page 228 of Susan Trail's dissertation, "Remembering Antietam",
      Trail asserts that in 1897, George W. Davis, head of Antietam
      Battlefield Board, asked Cope, who at the time was mapping Antietam, to
      "significantly expand the scope of his work by preparing a theater of
      operations map as well. This prompted an angry response from
      Nicholson," (John P. Nicholson, Davis' counterpart on the Gettysburg
      Commission and Cope's boss.) ...apparently putting the end to that.

      Stephen Recker

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2008
        Stephen,

        Tom did explain that only Antietam was mapped and since he was
        not aware of any such maps for South Mountain, that pretty much
        ended that.

        However, your post did give some of the background information
        ("the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey likes to say!). Wow!