Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
      Thank you.
      Baron? :-)

      Oliver Gamble wrote:

      > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
      > Encoding: quoted-printable
    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
        Harriett?

        ----- Original Message -----
        Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 11:08 PM
        Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

        ----- Original Message -----
        Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:29 PM

        Oliver,
        No I do not see that quotation in Jomini.  Any other idieas?  It seemed
        likely since Carman went to a military school, but did not find it
        there.
        Tom
        I was not sure I had read it there. Perhaps it is in his first book "Treatise on Great Military Operations", which was written while still in the French Army.
        I have a copy of it written in French and will see if I can find the quote tomorrow.

        You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

        O.G.

      • Oliver Gamble
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002

          Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 7:26 AM

          Harriett?

          Ray;
          No. Let me know when you give up. <vbg>

          Tom;

          The phrase is not in Jomini's first book. I didn't think it would be since it was written before he left Napoleon and joined the Russians. I have several other books on Napoleon and will see if I can find it in any of them.

          O.G.

        • ringgold61
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
            > You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
            Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

            > O.G.

            Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

            Mark A. Pflum
          • Oliver Gamble
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002

              Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:51 AM
              Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

              >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
              Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

              >   O.G.

              Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

              Mark A. Pflum

              Correct.

              O.G.

            • Ray Ortensie
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                were you looking for Louis?

                Ray

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                  Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

                  >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                  Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                  >   O.G.

                  Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                  Mark A. Pflum

                  Correct.

                  O.G.

                • moenwanda
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                    Hi Tom,

                    You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

                    http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
                    sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
                    20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
                    01

                    Very best,

                    Moe

                    --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                    > Dear Group,
                    > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                    scavengr
                    > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                    > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                    need not
                    > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                    it.
                    > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                    >
                    > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                    occupation, etc.
                    > for:
                    >
                    > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                    > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                    > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                    > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                    > 1/31/1861
                    > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                    Conven.
                    > 1864
                    > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                    into?
                    > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                    > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                    about
                    > Lincoln & Stanton
                    > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                    to the
                    > book.
                    >

                    > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                    on-line and
                    > searchable would be great.
                    >
                    > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                    "call the
                    > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                    >
                    > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                    1862.
                    > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                    >
                    > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                    wrote to
                    > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                    the enemy
                    > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                    >

                    > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                    second
                    > place is two copies!!!
                    > Thanks all!
                  • moenwanda
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                      Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

                      http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

                      Moe

                      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                      > Dear Group,
                      > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                      scavengr
                      > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                      > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                      need not
                      > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                      it.
                      > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                      >
                      > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                      occupation, etc.
                      > for:
                      >
                      > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                      > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                      > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                      > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                      > 1/31/1861
                      > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                      Conven.
                      > 1864
                      > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                      into?
                      > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                      > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                      about
                      > Lincoln & Stanton
                      > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                      to the
                      > book.
                      >

                      > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                      on-line and
                      > searchable would be great.
                      >
                      > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                      "call the
                      > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                      >
                      > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                      1862.
                      > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                      >
                      > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                      wrote to
                      > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                      the enemy
                      > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                      >

                      > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                      second
                      > place is two copies!!!
                      > Thanks all!
                    • Tom Clemens
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
                        Moe,
                        I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
                        Thanks
                        Tom

                        Monitoring Service trial
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM