Re: Confederate Veteran magazine

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

      > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
      > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
      > www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or
      so.
      > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including
      the
      > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
      > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
      > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
      > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
      > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
      >
      > Dave

      Check eBay! I have picked up some ACW CDs for a fraction of the list
      price.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
        I have a feeling that some may copy these cd's and then sell the
        originals. Easy enough to do. I use Foxit Reader to select text and to
        cut and paste. I'm not sure if the free version does this, however it
        might be worth buying if you do a lot of PDF reading, because it has a
        highlight and annotation feature which is valuable. It's worth having
        in the free version because it doesn't come with all the crap that is in
        Adobe Reader. I cut and paste into OpenOffice Writer, then convert them
        back into PDF if I need to. OpenOffice is a free MS Office clone, well
        worth having only for the ease of turning doc files into PDF.

        Each year on the cd is a PDF file of about 4-5 megs. Uncertain if you
        can convert that to txt or rtf or doc with that size. Let us know if
        you've done that successfully, please.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
          Dave,

          Thx for the help in copying text from PDF to Word. I've never done it.