Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Confederate Veteran magazine

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8 2:26 PM
      The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
      Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
      www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
      They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including the
      OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
      are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
      caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
      letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
      keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 2:54 PM
        Harry and Dave,

        Thx for this info! $60 is much less than $350 to $600 which I've seen
        lately on ebay. Can I copy text from Adobe into Word? Can the text be
        searched? Looks like the hardcopy index costs extra.

        Thank you,

        > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
        > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
        www.researchonline.net
        > They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
        > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources,
        including the
        > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60)
        they
        > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
        > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs
        and
        > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them
        and
        > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > Harry Smeltzer wrote:
        > >
        > > Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is
        available on CD
        > > at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.
        > >
        > > Harry

      • James W. Durney
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8 2:56 PM

          > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
          > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
          > www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or
          so.
          > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including
          the
          > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
          > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
          > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
          > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
          > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
          >
          > Dave

          Check eBay! I have picked up some ACW CDs for a fraction of the list
          price.
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8 4:07 PM
            I have a feeling that some may copy these cd's and then sell the
            originals. Easy enough to do. I use Foxit Reader to select text and to
            cut and paste. I'm not sure if the free version does this, however it
            might be worth buying if you do a lot of PDF reading, because it has a
            highlight and annotation feature which is valuable. It's worth having
            in the free version because it doesn't come with all the crap that is in
            Adobe Reader. I cut and paste into OpenOffice Writer, then convert them
            back into PDF if I need to. OpenOffice is a free MS Office clone, well
            worth having only for the ease of turning doc files into PDF.

            Each year on the cd is a PDF file of about 4-5 megs. Uncertain if you
            can convert that to txt or rtf or doc with that size. Let us know if
            you've done that successfully, please.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9 1:59 PM
              Dave,

              Thx for the help in copying text from PDF to Word. I've never done it.