question re South Mountain and Carman

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8 11:10 AM
      Dear Tom C.,

      As far as you might be aware, did Carman and Cope ever produce a
      series of maps detailing the South Mountain fights (Turner's Gap,
      Fox's Gap, Crampton's Gap) much like they did for
      Sharpsburg/Antietam?

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8 3:05 PM
        Not that I am aware of. His mission by the War Dept was to create "a" map of Antietam, which he converted into the series of maps.
        BTW, Harsh makes a convincing argument that the ANV was not divided into two neat wings at Antietam. Nor even really the north/south division of responsibility you mention. D.H. Hill, McLaws, Anderson and even Walker acted independently during the campaign, and McLaws division was restructured by Longstreet before going on the Harpers Ferry expedition.
        As for Stuart, there is no official designation as commanding Jackson's left wing, but he did spend much of the day directing the fire of variuous artillery units and played an important role in that effort. An Jackson DID visit Nicodemus Hill as Hood talks about finding him there asleep on the night of the 16th. He wasn't there during the battle, but technically he was there on the 17th, although he likely left at or before dawn.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13 4:00 AM

          If Tom hasn't seen maps of those areas, then I would consider that the
          last word.

          On page 228 of Susan Trail's dissertation, "Remembering Antietam",
          Trail asserts that in 1897, George W. Davis, head of Antietam
          Battlefield Board, asked Cope, who at the time was mapping Antietam, to
          "significantly expand the scope of his work by preparing a theater of
          operations map as well. This prompted an angry response from
          Nicholson," (John P. Nicholson, Davis' counterpart on the Gettysburg
          Commission and Cope's boss.) ...apparently putting the end to that.

          Stephen Recker

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13 5:47 AM
            Stephen,

            Tom did explain that only Antietam was mapped and since he was
            not aware of any such maps for South Mountain, that pretty much
            ended that.

            However, your post did give some of the background information
            ("the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey likes to say!). Wow!