Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Headquarters questions, etc.

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
      Well, Stuart was in command of his cavalry forces as well as the
      horse artillery on Nicodemus Heights. He and Jackson worked very
      closely together to keep the flank area between Jackson and the
      Potomac secure. IIRC.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
        Larry,

        What you say makes perfect sense and ties in with everything I
        have read.

        It is a fact that Jackson and Stuart very often worked closely
        together. It would not surprise me that Stuart had "verbal"
        orders from Jackson to do precisely as you say or that the both
        of them had reviewed the sector where Jackson was posted and came
        to an agreement respecting division of forces.

        IIRC the term "corps" was being used rather loosely at the time
        and was pretty much understood as such, even though officially
        both Jackson and Longstreet commanded Wings of the Army of
        Northern Va. R E Lee was indeed considering how to effectively
        delegate control of portions of his army to senior lieutenants.
        If anything, the experience of The Seven Days taught him it is
        much easier to have a handful of trusted subordinated reporting
        directly to him rather than a dozen!