RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Headquarters questions, etc.

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8 9:59 AM
      I think Larry is questioning Stuart being "in command" on the left, not his
      presence there.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8 10:09 AM

        Fortunately I have all three of Dr. Harsh's books with a pristine
        duplicate copy of "Taken at the Flood" signed by him since my
        original is marked up. I do see in von Borcke's book (160-1) that
        Jackson put Stuart in charge of the "left wing" of his corps even
        though there were no official Rebel "corps" then. But von Borcke is
        sometimes somewhat fast and loose with facts.

        Robert E. L. Krick says that Jackson and Stuart must have worked out
        some arrangement re the defense of the left flank since Jackson never
        visited Nicodemus Heights ("Defending Lee's Flank: J.E.B. Stuart,
        John Pelham, and COnfederate Artillery on Nicodemus Heights," in "The
        Antietam Campaign, ed. Gary W. Gallagher, pp. 201, 207-8, 217, n. 11.
        Compare also Priest, Antietam, 30, 33, 59, 89; Blackford, 149-150;
        Murfin, 235; Carman, 220, 221, 303.

        It is likely that Jackson verbally put Stuart in some sort of command
        since his troopers were on Jackson's left and also Stuart with his
        horse artillery with other artillery were on Nicodemus Hill then
        Hauser's Ridge. I will go with the above in the absence of harder
        evidence.

        Thank you,

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8 10:15 AM
          Well, Stuart was in command of his cavalry forces as well as the
          horse artillery on Nicodemus Heights. He and Jackson worked very
          closely together to keep the flank area between Jackson and the
          Potomac secure. IIRC.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8 10:18 AM
            Larry,

            What you say makes perfect sense and ties in with everything I
            have read.

            It is a fact that Jackson and Stuart very often worked closely
            together. It would not surprise me that Stuart had "verbal"
            orders from Jackson to do precisely as you say or that the both
            of them had reviewed the sector where Jackson was posted and came
            to an agreement respecting division of forces.

            IIRC the term "corps" was being used rather loosely at the time
            and was pretty much understood as such, even though officially
            both Jackson and Longstreet commanded Wings of the Army of
            Northern Va. R E Lee was indeed considering how to effectively
            delegate control of portions of his army to senior lieutenants.
            If anything, the experience of The Seven Days taught him it is
            much easier to have a handful of trusted subordinated reporting
            directly to him rather than a dozen!