Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Headquarters questions, etc.

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8 9:39 AM
      Dear Larry,

      I surmise you do not have the book in question. IIRC Harsh
      documents Stuart's presence on Jackson's left flank very well.

      Tom Clemens, can you help here?

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8 9:39 AM
        Thanks, but mentioning it and documenting it can be two different
        things.

        > Dear Larry,
        >
        > Do you have Taken at the Flood? Harsh has quite a mention of
        > Stuart being on the left flank of Jackson, and in effect being
        > the anchor of the left flank of Jackson and the Potomac River
        > bend.
        >
        > I am not sure what you have been reading, but IIRC even Murfin
        > and Sears mention it in their books.

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8 9:59 AM
          I think Larry is questioning Stuart being "in command" on the left, not his
          presence there.

          Harry

          yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8 10:09 AM

            Fortunately I have all three of Dr. Harsh's books with a pristine
            duplicate copy of "Taken at the Flood" signed by him since my
            original is marked up. I do see in von Borcke's book (160-1) that
            Jackson put Stuart in charge of the "left wing" of his corps even
            though there were no official Rebel "corps" then. But von Borcke is
            sometimes somewhat fast and loose with facts.

            Robert E. L. Krick says that Jackson and Stuart must have worked out
            some arrangement re the defense of the left flank since Jackson never
            visited Nicodemus Heights ("Defending Lee's Flank: J.E.B. Stuart,
            John Pelham, and COnfederate Artillery on Nicodemus Heights," in "The
            Antietam Campaign, ed. Gary W. Gallagher, pp. 201, 207-8, 217, n. 11.
            Compare also Priest, Antietam, 30, 33, 59, 89; Blackford, 149-150;
            Murfin, 235; Carman, 220, 221, 303.

            It is likely that Jackson verbally put Stuart in some sort of command
            since his troopers were on Jackson's left and also Stuart with his
            horse artillery with other artillery were on Nicodemus Hill then
            Hauser's Ridge. I will go with the above in the absence of harder
            evidence.

            Thank you,

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8 10:15 AM
              Well, Stuart was in command of his cavalry forces as well as the
              horse artillery on Nicodemus Heights. He and Jackson worked very
              closely together to keep the flank area between Jackson and the
              Potomac secure. IIRC.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8 10:18 AM
                Larry,

                What you say makes perfect sense and ties in with everything I
                have read.

                It is a fact that Jackson and Stuart very often worked closely
                together. It would not surprise me that Stuart had "verbal"
                orders from Jackson to do precisely as you say or that the both
                of them had reviewed the sector where Jackson was posted and came
                to an agreement respecting division of forces.

                IIRC the term "corps" was being used rather loosely at the time
                and was pretty much understood as such, even though officially
                both Jackson and Longstreet commanded Wings of the Army of
                Northern Va. R E Lee was indeed considering how to effectively
                delegate control of portions of his army to senior lieutenants.
                If anything, the experience of The Seven Days taught him it is
                much easier to have a handful of trusted subordinated reporting
                directly to him rather than a dozen!