Re: [TalkAntietam] re Headquarters questions, etc.

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8 7:09 AM
      Teej;

      Ok. Everything I have read seems to indicate that both Stuart and
      Jackson had their headquarters "in the saddle" while at
      Sharpsburg. I was wondering, though, whether Jackson in
      particular had a reasonably "fixed" location where he could be
      found if needed.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8 9:03 AM

          I guess legend probably also has Stuart in command on the left
          including the guns on Nicodemus Hill? I can't find anything in
          writing about this "command."

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8 9:18 AM
            Dear Larry,

            Do you have Taken at the Flood? Harsh has quite a mention of
            Stuart being on the left flank of Jackson, and in effect being
            the anchor of the left flank of Jackson and the Potomac River
            bend.

            I am not sure what you have been reading, but IIRC even Murfin
            and Sears mention it in their books.

            I guess legend probably also has Stuart in command on the left
            including the guns on Nicodemus Hill? I can't find anything in
            writing about this "command."

            Larry

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
            <clemenst@...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8 9:39 AM
              Dear Larry,

              I surmise you do not have the book in question. IIRC Harsh
              documents Stuart's presence on Jackson's left flank very well.

              Tom Clemens, can you help here?

              Thanks, but mentioning it and documenting it can be two different
              things.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8 9:39 AM
                Thanks, but mentioning it and documenting it can be two different
                things.

                > Dear Larry,
                >
                > Do you have Taken at the Flood? Harsh has quite a mention of
                > Stuart being on the left flank of Jackson, and in effect being
                > the anchor of the left flank of Jackson and the Potomac River
                > bend.
                >
                > I am not sure what you have been reading, but IIRC even Murfin
                > and Sears mention it in their books.

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 8 9:59 AM
                  I think Larry is questioning Stuart being "in command" on the left, not his
                  presence there.

                  Harry

                  yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8 10:09 AM

                    Fortunately I have all three of Dr. Harsh's books with a pristine
                    duplicate copy of "Taken at the Flood" signed by him since my
                    original is marked up. I do see in von Borcke's book (160-1) that
                    Jackson put Stuart in charge of the "left wing" of his corps even
                    though there were no official Rebel "corps" then. But von Borcke is
                    sometimes somewhat fast and loose with facts.

                    Robert E. L. Krick says that Jackson and Stuart must have worked out
                    some arrangement re the defense of the left flank since Jackson never
                    visited Nicodemus Heights ("Defending Lee's Flank: J.E.B. Stuart,
                    John Pelham, and COnfederate Artillery on Nicodemus Heights," in "The
                    Antietam Campaign, ed. Gary W. Gallagher, pp. 201, 207-8, 217, n. 11.
                    Compare also Priest, Antietam, 30, 33, 59, 89; Blackford, 149-150;
                    Murfin, 235; Carman, 220, 221, 303.

                    It is likely that Jackson verbally put Stuart in some sort of command
                    since his troopers were on Jackson's left and also Stuart with his
                    horse artillery with other artillery were on Nicodemus Hill then
                    Hauser's Ridge. I will go with the above in the absence of harder
                    evidence.

                    Thank you,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 8 10:15 AM
                      Well, Stuart was in command of his cavalry forces as well as the
                      horse artillery on Nicodemus Heights. He and Jackson worked very
                      closely together to keep the flank area between Jackson and the
                      Potomac secure. IIRC.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 8 10:18 AM
                        Larry,

                        What you say makes perfect sense and ties in with everything I
                        have read.

                        It is a fact that Jackson and Stuart very often worked closely
                        together. It would not surprise me that Stuart had "verbal"
                        orders from Jackson to do precisely as you say or that the both
                        of them had reviewed the sector where Jackson was posted and came
                        to an agreement respecting division of forces.

                        IIRC the term "corps" was being used rather loosely at the time
                        and was pretty much understood as such, even though officially
                        both Jackson and Longstreet commanded Wings of the Army of
                        Northern Va. R E Lee was indeed considering how to effectively
                        delegate control of portions of his army to senior lieutenants.
                        If anything, the experience of The Seven Days taught him it is
                        much easier to have a handful of trusted subordinated reporting
                        directly to him rather than a dozen!