RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Confederate Veteran magazine

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
      Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is available on CD
      at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
        The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
        Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
        www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
        They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including the
        OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
        are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
        caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
        letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
        keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
          Harry and Dave,

          Thx for this info! $60 is much less than $350 to $600 which I've seen
          lately on ebay. Can I copy text from Adobe into Word? Can the text be
          searched? Looks like the hardcopy index costs extra.

          Thank you,

          > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
          > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
          www.researchonline.net
          > They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
          > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources,
          including the
          > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60)
          they
          > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
          > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs
          and
          > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them
          and
          > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > Harry Smeltzer wrote:
          > >
          > > Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is
          available on CD
          > > at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.
          > >
          > > Harry

        • James W. Durney
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

            > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
            > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
            > www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or
            so.
            > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including
            the
            > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
            > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
            > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
            > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
            > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
            >
            > Dave

            Check eBay! I have picked up some ACW CDs for a fraction of the list
            price.
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
              I have a feeling that some may copy these cd's and then sell the
              originals. Easy enough to do. I use Foxit Reader to select text and to
              cut and paste. I'm not sure if the free version does this, however it
              might be worth buying if you do a lot of PDF reading, because it has a
              highlight and annotation feature which is valuable. It's worth having
              in the free version because it doesn't come with all the crap that is in
              Adobe Reader. I cut and paste into OpenOffice Writer, then convert them
              back into PDF if I need to. OpenOffice is a free MS Office clone, well
              worth having only for the ease of turning doc files into PDF.

              Each year on the cd is a PDF file of about 4-5 megs. Uncertain if you
              can convert that to txt or rtf or doc with that size. Let us know if
              you've done that successfully, please.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
                Dave,

                Thx for the help in copying text from PDF to Word. I've never done it.