Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
      Oliver,
      No I do not see that quotation in Jomini. Any other idieas? It seemed
      likely since Carman went to a military school, but did not find it
      there.
      Tom

      Oliver Gamble wrote:

      > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
      > Encoding: quoted-printable
    • Oliver Gamble
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
          Thank you.
          Baron? :-)

          Oliver Gamble wrote:

          > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
          > Encoding: quoted-printable
        • Ray Ortensie
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
            Harriett?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002

              The phrase is not in Jomini's first book. I didn't think it would be since it was written before he left Napoleon and joined the Russians. I have several other books on Napoleon and will see if I can find it in any of them.

              O.G.

            • ringgold61
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
                > You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                > O.G.

                Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                Mark A. Pflum
              • Oliver Gamble
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002

                  >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                  Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                  >   O.G.

                  Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                  Mark A. Pflum

                  Correct.

                  O.G.

                • Ray Ortensie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                    were you looking for Louis?

                    Ray

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                      Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

                      >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                      Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                      >   O.G.

                      Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                      Mark A. Pflum

                      Correct.

                      O.G.

                    • moenwanda
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                        Hi Tom,

                        You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

                        http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
                        sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
                        20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
                        01

                        Very best,

                        Moe

                        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                        > Dear Group,
                        > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                        scavengr
                        > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                        > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                        need not
                        > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                        it.
                        > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                        >
                        > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                        occupation, etc.
                        > for:
                        >
                        > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                        > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                        > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                        > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                        > 1/31/1861
                        > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                        Conven.
                        > 1864
                        > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                        into?
                        > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                        > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                        about
                        > Lincoln & Stanton
                        > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                        to the
                        > book.
                        >

                        > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                        on-line and
                        > searchable would be great.
                        >
                        > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                        "call the
                        > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                        >
                        > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                        1862.
                        > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                        >
                        > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                        wrote to
                        > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                        the enemy
                        > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                        >

                        > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                        second
                        > place is two copies!!!
                        > Thanks all!
                      • moenwanda
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                          Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

                          http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

                          Moe

                          --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                          > Dear Group,
                          > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                          scavengr
                          > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                          > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                          need not
                          > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                          it.
                          > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                          >
                          > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                          occupation, etc.
                          > for:
                          >
                          > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                          > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                          > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                          > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                          > 1/31/1861
                          > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                          Conven.
                          > 1864
                          > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                          into?
                          > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                          > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                          about
                          > Lincoln & Stanton
                          > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                          to the
                          > book.
                          >

                          > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                          on-line and
                          > searchable would be great.
                          >
                          > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                          "call the
                          > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                          >
                          > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                          1862.
                          > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                          >
                          > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                          wrote to
                          > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                          the enemy
                          > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                          >

                          > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                          second
                          > place is two copies!!!
                          > Thanks all!
                        • Tom Clemens
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
                            Moe,
                            I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
                            Thanks
                            Tom

                            Monitoring Service trial
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM