Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Confederate Veteran magazine

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
      Larry;

      Actually there is quite a bit of primary source material in the
      pages of the magazine, much of which is good. However, the
      president of the UCV, at one point, was John Brown Gordon and he
      was a leading Lost Cause proponent, IIRC.

      Just because a book or magazine may have some LC rantings, as you
      say, in it, does not mean it is not valuable.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
        Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is available on CD
        at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.

        Harry

        yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Larry,
        >
        > Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
        > Veterans?
        >
        > If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied pages
        > but also a lot of very good and useful information.
        >
        > Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
        > with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
        > corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks out,
        > then the account may be considered having greater weight.
        >
        > Hope this helps!

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
          The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
          Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
          www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
          They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including the
          OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
          are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
          caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
          letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
          keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
            Harry and Dave,

            Thx for this info! $60 is much less than $350 to $600 which I've seen
            lately on ebay. Can I copy text from Adobe into Word? Can the text be
            searched? Looks like the hardcopy index costs extra.

            Thank you,

            > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
            > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
            www.researchonline.net
            > They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
            > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources,
            including the
            > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60)
            they
            > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
            > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs
            and
            > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them
            and
            > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > Harry Smeltzer wrote:
            > >
            > > Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is
            available on CD
            > > at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.
            > >
            > > Harry

          • James W. Durney
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

              > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
              > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
              > www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or
              so.
              > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including
              the
              > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
              > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
              > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
              > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
              > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
              >
              > Dave

              Check eBay! I have picked up some ACW CDs for a fraction of the list
              price.
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                I have a feeling that some may copy these cd's and then sell the
                originals. Easy enough to do. I use Foxit Reader to select text and to
                cut and paste. I'm not sure if the free version does this, however it
                might be worth buying if you do a lot of PDF reading, because it has a
                highlight and annotation feature which is valuable. It's worth having
                in the free version because it doesn't come with all the crap that is in
                Adobe Reader. I cut and paste into OpenOffice Writer, then convert them
                back into PDF if I need to. OpenOffice is a free MS Office clone, well
                worth having only for the ease of turning doc files into PDF.

                Each year on the cd is a PDF file of about 4-5 megs. Uncertain if you
                can convert that to txt or rtf or doc with that size. Let us know if
                you've done that successfully, please.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
                  Dave,

                  Thx for the help in copying text from PDF to Word. I've never done it.