re Headquarters questions, etc.

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
      Gang,

      All know where McClellan had his General HQ during the Sharpsburg
      battle as well as R E Lee. However, does anyone know where
      Jackson had his headquarters or were they, as Pope infamously
      said, "in the saddle"? Also, Pete Longstreet seems to have shared
      his headquarters with D H Hill, namely the Henry Piper farmhouse
      about a good quarter mile behind the Sunken Road. (Or did Pete
      Longstreet and his staff pitch their tents somewhere near the
      Piper house?)

      Finally, even though Longstreet was responsible for the entire
      sector roughly from the Sunken Road area clear down to the Forty
      Acre Cornfield area where A P Hill counterattacked later in the
      day on September 17 against Burnside, is there any record of his
      being present on the southern part of the field once the Sunken
      Road part of the Confederate lines stabilized in the early
      afternoon? I know Lee was all over the entire field that day.

      Thanks for your help!

    • Teej
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
        Gerry Mayers wrote:

        <Snip>

        However, does anyone know where
        > Jackson had his headquarters or were they, as Pope infamously
        > said, "in the saddle"?

        This in no way answers your question, Gerry, but I'd like to point out
        that while Pope is often criticized for using that phrase, Stuart often
        wrote Flora that his "headquarters is in the saddle these days." I suspect
        that was a common cavalry phrase.

        Regards,
        Teej

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
          Teej;

          Ok. Everything I have read seems to indicate that both Stuart and
          Jackson had their headquarters "in the saddle" while at
          Sharpsburg. I was wondering, though, whether Jackson in
          particular had a reasonably "fixed" location where he could be
          found if needed.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008

              I guess legend probably also has Stuart in command on the left
              including the guns on Nicodemus Hill? I can't find anything in
              writing about this "command."

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                Dear Larry,

                Do you have Taken at the Flood? Harsh has quite a mention of
                Stuart being on the left flank of Jackson, and in effect being
                the anchor of the left flank of Jackson and the Potomac River
                bend.

                I am not sure what you have been reading, but IIRC even Murfin
                and Sears mention it in their books.

                I guess legend probably also has Stuart in command on the left
                including the guns on Nicodemus Hill? I can't find anything in
                writing about this "command."

                Larry

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                <clemenst@...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                  Dear Larry,

                  I surmise you do not have the book in question. IIRC Harsh
                  documents Stuart's presence on Jackson's left flank very well.

                  Tom Clemens, can you help here?

                  Thanks, but mentioning it and documenting it can be two different
                  things.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                    Thanks, but mentioning it and documenting it can be two different
                    things.

                    > Dear Larry,
                    >
                    > Do you have Taken at the Flood? Harsh has quite a mention of
                    > Stuart being on the left flank of Jackson, and in effect being
                    > the anchor of the left flank of Jackson and the Potomac River
                    > bend.
                    >
                    > I am not sure what you have been reading, but IIRC even Murfin
                    > and Sears mention it in their books.

                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                      I think Larry is questioning Stuart being "in command" on the left, not his
                      presence there.

                      Harry

                      yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008

                        Fortunately I have all three of Dr. Harsh's books with a pristine
                        duplicate copy of "Taken at the Flood" signed by him since my
                        original is marked up. I do see in von Borcke's book (160-1) that
                        Jackson put Stuart in charge of the "left wing" of his corps even
                        though there were no official Rebel "corps" then. But von Borcke is
                        sometimes somewhat fast and loose with facts.

                        Robert E. L. Krick says that Jackson and Stuart must have worked out
                        some arrangement re the defense of the left flank since Jackson never
                        visited Nicodemus Heights ("Defending Lee's Flank: J.E.B. Stuart,
                        John Pelham, and COnfederate Artillery on Nicodemus Heights," in "The
                        Antietam Campaign, ed. Gary W. Gallagher, pp. 201, 207-8, 217, n. 11.
                        Compare also Priest, Antietam, 30, 33, 59, 89; Blackford, 149-150;
                        Murfin, 235; Carman, 220, 221, 303.

                        It is likely that Jackson verbally put Stuart in some sort of command
                        since his troopers were on Jackson's left and also Stuart with his
                        horse artillery with other artillery were on Nicodemus Hill then
                        Hauser's Ridge. I will go with the above in the absence of harder
                        evidence.

                        Thank you,

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                          Well, Stuart was in command of his cavalry forces as well as the
                          horse artillery on Nicodemus Heights. He and Jackson worked very
                          closely together to keep the flank area between Jackson and the
                          Potomac secure. IIRC.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                            Larry,

                            What you say makes perfect sense and ties in with everything I
                            have read.

                            It is a fact that Jackson and Stuart very often worked closely
                            together. It would not surprise me that Stuart had "verbal"
                            orders from Jackson to do precisely as you say or that the both
                            of them had reviewed the sector where Jackson was posted and came
                            to an agreement respecting division of forces.

                            IIRC the term "corps" was being used rather loosely at the time
                            and was pretty much understood as such, even though officially
                            both Jackson and Longstreet commanded Wings of the Army of
                            Northern Va. R E Lee was indeed considering how to effectively
                            delegate control of portions of his army to senior lieutenants.
                            If anything, the experience of The Seven Days taught him it is
                            much easier to have a handful of trusted subordinated reporting
                            directly to him rather than a dozen!