Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederate Veteran magazine

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
      Dear Larry,

      Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
      Veterans?

      If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied pages
      but also a lot of very good and useful information.

      Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
      with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
      corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks out,
      then the account may be considered having greater weight.

      Hope this helps!

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

        If they published the magazines from 1893-1932 then the UCV is the
        group. Are you saying they consist of materials written by
        participants/observers rather than just LC rantings? I'm just not
        sure spending that amount of money is worthwhile for just one or two
        quotes but if they are a goldmine for good research then the cost is
        justified.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
          Larry;

          Actually there is quite a bit of primary source material in the
          pages of the magazine, much of which is good. However, the
          president of the UCV, at one point, was John Brown Gordon and he
          was a leading Lost Cause proponent, IIRC.

          Just because a book or magazine may have some LC rantings, as you
          say, in it, does not mean it is not valuable.

          If they published the magazines from 1893-1932 then the UCV is
          the
          group. Are you saying they consist of materials written by
          participants/observers rather than just LC rantings? I'm just not
          sure spending that amount of money is worthwhile for just one or
          two
          quotes but if they are a goldmine for good research then the cost
          is
          justified.

          > Dear Larry,
          >
          > Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
          > Veterans?
          >
          > If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied
          > pages
          > but also a lot of very good and useful information.
          >
          > Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
          > with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
          > corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks
          > out,
          > then the account may be considered having greater weight.
          >
          > Hope this helps!

          > from

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
            Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is available on CD
            at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.

            Harry

            yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear Larry,
            >
            > Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
            > Veterans?
            >
            > If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied pages
            > but also a lot of very good and useful information.
            >
            > Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
            > with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
            > corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks out,
            > then the account may be considered having greater weight.
            >
            > Hope this helps!

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
              The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
              Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
              www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
              They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including the
              OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
              are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
              caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
              letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
              keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                Harry and Dave,

                Thx for this info! $60 is much less than $350 to $600 which I've seen
                lately on ebay. Can I copy text from Adobe into Word? Can the text be
                searched? Looks like the hardcopy index costs extra.

                Thank you,

                > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
                > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
                www.researchonline.net
                > They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
                > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources,
                including the
                > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60)
                they
                > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
                > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs
                and
                > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them
                and
                > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > Harry Smeltzer wrote:
                > >
                > > Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is
                available on CD
                > > at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.
                > >
                > > Harry

              • James W. Durney
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

                  > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
                  > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
                  > www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or
                  so.
                  > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including
                  the
                  > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
                  > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
                  > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
                  > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
                  > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  Check eBay! I have picked up some ACW CDs for a fraction of the list
                  price.
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                    I have a feeling that some may copy these cd's and then sell the
                    originals. Easy enough to do. I use Foxit Reader to select text and to
                    cut and paste. I'm not sure if the free version does this, however it
                    might be worth buying if you do a lot of PDF reading, because it has a
                    highlight and annotation feature which is valuable. It's worth having
                    in the free version because it doesn't come with all the crap that is in
                    Adobe Reader. I cut and paste into OpenOffice Writer, then convert them
                    back into PDF if I need to. OpenOffice is a free MS Office clone, well
                    worth having only for the ease of turning doc files into PDF.

                    Each year on the cd is a PDF file of about 4-5 megs. Uncertain if you
                    can convert that to txt or rtf or doc with that size. Let us know if
                    you've done that successfully, please.

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
                      Dave,

                      Thx for the help in copying text from PDF to Word. I've never done it.