Confederate Veteran magazine

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
      Does anyone have an opinion on the value of the old Confederate
      Magazine for research purposes? From time to time reprinted sets come
      up for sale usually for a few hundred dollars. Are there useful
      articles in them or are they mostly full of Lost Cause writings?

      Thank you,
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
        Dear Larry,

        Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
        Veterans?

        If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied pages
        but also a lot of very good and useful information.

        Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
        with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
        corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks out,
        then the account may be considered having greater weight.

        Hope this helps!

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

          If they published the magazines from 1893-1932 then the UCV is the
          group. Are you saying they consist of materials written by
          participants/observers rather than just LC rantings? I'm just not
          sure spending that amount of money is worthwhile for just one or two
          quotes but if they are a goldmine for good research then the cost is
          justified.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
            Larry;

            Actually there is quite a bit of primary source material in the
            pages of the magazine, much of which is good. However, the
            president of the UCV, at one point, was John Brown Gordon and he
            was a leading Lost Cause proponent, IIRC.

            Just because a book or magazine may have some LC rantings, as you
            say, in it, does not mean it is not valuable.

            If they published the magazines from 1893-1932 then the UCV is
            the
            group. Are you saying they consist of materials written by
            participants/observers rather than just LC rantings? I'm just not
            sure spending that amount of money is worthwhile for just one or
            two
            quotes but if they are a goldmine for good research then the cost
            is
            justified.

            > Dear Larry,
            >
            > Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
            > Veterans?
            >
            > If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied
            > pages
            > but also a lot of very good and useful information.
            >
            > Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
            > with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
            > corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks
            > out,
            > then the account may be considered having greater weight.
            >
            > Hope this helps!

            > from

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
              Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is available on CD
              at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.

              Harry

              yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
              wrote:

              > Dear Larry,
              >
              > Do you mean the magazine published by the United Confederate
              > Veterans?
              >
              > If so, there is a bit of "Lost Cause" writing in its varied pages
              > but also a lot of very good and useful information.
              >
              > Like any other primary source, you have to take what you read
              > with a little grain of salt. If the information can be
              > corroborated independently of Confederate Veteran and checks out,
              > then the account may be considered having greater weight.
              >
              > Hope this helps!

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
                Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
                www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
                They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including the
                OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
                are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
                caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
                letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
                keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                  Harry and Dave,

                  Thx for this info! $60 is much less than $350 to $600 which I've seen
                  lately on ebay. Can I copy text from Adobe into Word? Can the text be
                  searched? Looks like the hardcopy index costs extra.

                  Thank you,

                  > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
                  > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
                  www.researchonline.net
                  > They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or so.
                  > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources,
                  including the
                  > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60)
                  they
                  > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
                  > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs
                  and
                  > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them
                  and
                  > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > Harry Smeltzer wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Larry, if I'm not mistaken Confederate Veteran magazine is
                  available on CD
                  > > at a fraction of what you'd pay for the bound volumes.
                  > >
                  > > Harry

                • James W. Durney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

                    > The Confederate Veteran issues from 1893 to 1912 are available at
                    > Eastern Digital Resources in PDF format. URL is
                    > www.researchonline.net They offer 4 cds covering 4 years apiece or
                    so.
                    > They have a lot of different kinds of primary ACW sources, including
                    the
                    > OR, in digital format. In my opinion, at the price (around $60) they
                    > are a valuable resource to be used with with the usual post-war
                    > caution. For me, they're worth it just for the anecdotes, songs and
                    > letters. By the way, they are not protected, so you can rip them and
                    > keep them on your drives for better speed and portability.
                    >
                    > Dave

                    Check eBay! I have picked up some ACW CDs for a fraction of the list
                    price.
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                      I have a feeling that some may copy these cd's and then sell the
                      originals. Easy enough to do. I use Foxit Reader to select text and to
                      cut and paste. I'm not sure if the free version does this, however it
                      might be worth buying if you do a lot of PDF reading, because it has a
                      highlight and annotation feature which is valuable. It's worth having
                      in the free version because it doesn't come with all the crap that is in
                      Adobe Reader. I cut and paste into OpenOffice Writer, then convert them
                      back into PDF if I need to. OpenOffice is a free MS Office clone, well
                      worth having only for the ease of turning doc files into PDF.

                      Each year on the cd is a PDF file of about 4-5 megs. Uncertain if you
                      can convert that to txt or rtf or doc with that size. Let us know if
                      you've done that successfully, please.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
                        Dave,

                        Thx for the help in copying text from PDF to Word. I've never done it.