Re: The Battlefield of Antietam pub. by O. T. Reilly 1906 Written by R.C. Miller

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4 4:22 AM
      Stephen et al,

      Thanks to everyone especially Stephen for this history! If I win it,
      I will let you know which version it is. The ad says it is 32 pages.

      Larry F.

      > Larry,
      >
      > This volume was originally published in 1906 by R.C. Reilly of the
      > Jenny Wade house in Gettysburg. That same year O.T. Reilly started
      > publish the book and sold it with his blue stamp on the back inside
      > cover.
      >
      > Very soon after, O.T. took out ten pages of photos and added his
      > battlefield narrative and a printed copyright. If you can get a
      copy
      > before O.T. took out those pictures you have a real gem. There is,
      for
      > example, the earliest photo I know of showing the Iron Brigade's
      Rocky
      > Ledge on the west side of the Hagerstown Pike.
      >
      > The earlier versions including O.T.'s narrative still have a
      wonderful
      > array of battlefield views. The narrative, written by O.T., is from
      > personal accounts he gathered over the years. You can take some of
      them
      > with a grain of salt, but I would use the same salt lick for any
      story
      > I have ever heard about the battle, so read them, share them, enjoy.
      >
      > Later versions, still, are detectable by the lack of a copyright on
      the
      > inside back cover. It was moved to the last page next to the
      Bivouac of

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21 12:02 PM
        Stephen,

        It is a later printing given your hints esp. the "Old Dunkard Church"
        caption stating: "Church Destroyed by Windstorm May 23, 1921." The
        copyright is on the last page also and under the printer's name
        is "2M-7-35" so maybe it was printed in July 1935--is that possible?

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22 4:50 AM
          Larry,

          That's a good point, Sherlock!

          Thanks,