Re: [TalkAntietam] The Battlefield of Antietam pub. by O. T. Reilly 1906 Written by R.C. Miller

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
      Larry,

      This volume was originally published in 1906 by R.C. Reilly of the
      Jenny Wade house in Gettysburg. That same year O.T. Reilly started to
      publish the book and sold it with his blue stamp on the back inside
      cover.

      Very soon after, O.T. took out ten pages of photos and added his
      battlefield narrative and a printed copyright. If you can get a copy
      before O.T. took out those pictures you have a real gem. There is, for
      example, the earliest photo I know of showing the Iron Brigade's Rocky
      Ledge on the west side of the Hagerstown Pike.

      The earlier versions including O.T.'s narrative still have a wonderful
      array of battlefield views. The narrative, written by O.T., is from
      personal accounts he gathered over the years. You can take some of them
      with a grain of salt, but I would use the same salt lick for any story
      I have ever heard about the battle, so read them, share them, enjoy.

      Later versions, still, are detectable by the lack of a copyright on the
      inside back cover. It was moved to the last page next to the Bivouac of
      the Dead poem. Same photos but inferior paper - less glossy than
      earlier versions. The narrative has some spelling changes and a few
      small text omissions. Under the photos, the text is now in two columns.
      The big tell (publishing date-wise) is that the photo of the Dunker
      Church now has a caption telling about how it was blown down in a
      blizzard in the 1920s. (Hardly something to be found in a circa 1906
      book.)

      The very latest version is the one reprinted by the Park Service,
      probably around 1970. Same exact book, just a really crummy printing
      job. You can usually find these on eBay for about $15-$20.

      I think it is a really great book to have. Some classic images and
      entertaining stories. Martin Burgan published a similar guidebook in
      1906. It has better photography but lacks O.T.'s narrative. It's pretty
      rare, so grab it when you can.

      Stephen Recker

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
        Stephen et al,

        Thanks to everyone especially Stephen for this history! If I win it,
        I will let you know which version it is. The ad says it is 32 pages.

        Larry F.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
          Stephen,

          It is a later printing given your hints esp. the "Old Dunkard Church"
          caption stating: "Church Destroyed by Windstorm May 23, 1921." The
          copyright is on the last page also and under the printer's name
          is "2M-7-35" so maybe it was printed in July 1935--is that possible?

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
            Larry,

            That's a good point, Sherlock!

            Thanks,