The Battlefield of Antietam pub. by O. T. Reilly 1906 Written by R.C. Miller

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3 1:59 PM
      Does anyone have this old picture book? What is its value re the
      battle? Is it worth buying?

      Thanks,

      Larry F.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3 6:34 PM
        Dear Larry,

        IIRC the Bookstore at the Antietam NBP Visitor Center sells a
        paperbound version. I have a copy of the same and the photos are
        really what makes the book IMHO.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 7:11 PM
          I have that one. I am not sure that the ones that you see mostly are
          original. It is an interesting read.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4 4:02 AM
            Larry,

            This volume was originally published in 1906 by R.C. Reilly of the
            Jenny Wade house in Gettysburg. That same year O.T. Reilly started to
            publish the book and sold it with his blue stamp on the back inside
            cover.

            Very soon after, O.T. took out ten pages of photos and added his
            battlefield narrative and a printed copyright. If you can get a copy
            before O.T. took out those pictures you have a real gem. There is, for
            example, the earliest photo I know of showing the Iron Brigade's Rocky
            Ledge on the west side of the Hagerstown Pike.

            The earlier versions including O.T.'s narrative still have a wonderful
            array of battlefield views. The narrative, written by O.T., is from
            personal accounts he gathered over the years. You can take some of them
            with a grain of salt, but I would use the same salt lick for any story
            I have ever heard about the battle, so read them, share them, enjoy.

            Later versions, still, are detectable by the lack of a copyright on the
            inside back cover. It was moved to the last page next to the Bivouac of
            the Dead poem. Same photos but inferior paper - less glossy than
            earlier versions. The narrative has some spelling changes and a few
            small text omissions. Under the photos, the text is now in two columns.
            The big tell (publishing date-wise) is that the photo of the Dunker
            Church now has a caption telling about how it was blown down in a
            blizzard in the 1920s. (Hardly something to be found in a circa 1906
            book.)

            The very latest version is the one reprinted by the Park Service,
            probably around 1970. Same exact book, just a really crummy printing
            job. You can usually find these on eBay for about $15-$20.

            I think it is a really great book to have. Some classic images and
            entertaining stories. Martin Burgan published a similar guidebook in
            1906. It has better photography but lacks O.T.'s narrative. It's pretty
            rare, so grab it when you can.

            Stephen Recker

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4 4:22 AM
              Stephen et al,

              Thanks to everyone especially Stephen for this history! If I win it,
              I will let you know which version it is. The ad says it is 32 pages.

              Larry F.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21 12:02 PM
                Stephen,

                It is a later printing given your hints esp. the "Old Dunkard Church"
                caption stating: "Church Destroyed by Windstorm May 23, 1921." The
                copyright is on the last page also and under the printer's name
                is "2M-7-35" so maybe it was printed in July 1935--is that possible?

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22 4:50 AM
                  Larry,

                  That's a good point, Sherlock!

                  Thanks,