Re: [TalkAntietam] Where Union Army reserve lay

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
      Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
      reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
      know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
      Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
      which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.

      Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
      type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008

        You rock. Thanks. Looks like a field trip is in order.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
          Good thought. I just recently flipped through those and don't remember.
          maybe I'll show it to Tim Smith. Thanks.

          Stephen

          On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 09:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
          > reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
          > know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
          > Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
          > which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.
          >
          > Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
          > type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

        • Brian Richardson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
            Could it be looking west from the area of the Taneytown Road, perhaps
            between the present day Howe Ave and the Blacksmith Shop Rd? It looks
            like perhaps the southern flank of Big Round Top begins to ascend from
            the left in both images of the stereographic view. I think 6th Corps
            and the artillery reserve were in that general location.

            Brian Richardson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2008
              Could be, Brian. Good guess. My thought is that the area is now well
              grown, but the terrain would be the same. Worth a look.

              Stephen