Re: Stephens' Speech

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2002
      Well it was a good guess but appraently wrong. The excerpt I am looking

      for sounded like it came from Stephens speech but it does not appear
      there. See if it sounds familiar to anyone.

      Carman wrote: Southern leaders were firm " in the conviction that cotton

      was King in England as well as the United States and that an
      interpuption in its supply would be so serious in its consequences that
      a new republic, where cotton was to be king and slavery its
      corner-stone, would be welcomed into the family of nations as the surest

      possible guaranty against the occurrance of such a disaster."

      Sure sounds like Stephens, doesn't it?
    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
        Tom:

        I think I remember reading something to that nature in Frank Owsley's _King
        Cotton Diplomacy_. I'll look through it and see if I can find the citation
        for it, if its in there.

        Ray