Re: [TalkAntietam] Where Union Army reserve lay

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
      Stephen,

      After extensive searching, I found only one mention of McPherson. Interestingly it was a person also seeking more info on him.

      A person offered the info below:

      The 1890 City Directory listing McKeesport does have what you are looking for in it. It states that his business is at 605 Locust St. & that he is the
      photographer. His residence is at 307 9th St., McKeesport. That would not be far from the business address.

      The thread is online at:
      http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PAWASHIN/2006-04/1144770932

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
        Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
        reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
        know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
        Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
        which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.

        Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
        type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008

          You rock. Thanks. Looks like a field trip is in order.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
            Good thought. I just recently flipped through those and don't remember.
            maybe I'll show it to Tim Smith. Thanks.

            Stephen

            On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 09:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
            > reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
            > know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
            > Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
            > which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.
            >
            > Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
            > type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

          • Brian Richardson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
              Could it be looking west from the area of the Taneytown Road, perhaps
              between the present day Howe Ave and the Blacksmith Shop Rd? It looks
              like perhaps the southern flank of Big Round Top begins to ascend from
              the left in both images of the stereographic view. I think 6th Corps
              and the artillery reserve were in that general location.

              Brian Richardson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30, 2008
                Could be, Brian. Good guess. My thought is that the area is now well
                grown, but the terrain would be the same. Worth a look.

                Stephen