Re: [TalkAntietam] Where Union Army reserve lay

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
      Stephen,

      Does this particular stereoview of which you are curious about
      have a particular number? Is it labelled in some way indicative
      of where it was taken?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
        The evidence on the back suggests that the series starts with
        Gettysburg (at least through #119) and then includes Antietam and other
        sites. That would put #108 in Gettysburg.

        Stephen

        On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 06:15 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

        > Stephen,
        >
        > Does this particular stereoview of which you are curious about
        > have a particular number? Is it labelled in some way indicative
        > of where it was taken?

      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
          Stephen,

          After extensive searching, I found only one mention of McPherson. Interestingly it was a person also seeking more info on him.

          A person offered the info below:

          The 1890 City Directory listing McKeesport does have what you are looking for in it. It states that his business is at 605 Locust St. & that he is the
          photographer. His residence is at 307 9th St., McKeesport. That would not be far from the business address.

          The thread is online at:
          http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PAWASHIN/2006-04/1144770932

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
            Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
            reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
            know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
            Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
            which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.

            Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
            type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008

              You rock. Thanks. Looks like a field trip is in order.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
                Good thought. I just recently flipped through those and don't remember.
                maybe I'll show it to Tim Smith. Thanks.

                Stephen

                On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 09:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
                > reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
                > know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
                > Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
                > which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.
                >
                > Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
                > type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

              • Brian Richardson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Could it be looking west from the area of the Taneytown Road, perhaps
                  between the present day Howe Ave and the Blacksmith Shop Rd? It looks
                  like perhaps the southern flank of Big Round Top begins to ascend from
                  the left in both images of the stereographic view. I think 6th Corps
                  and the artillery reserve were in that general location.

                  Brian Richardson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 30, 2008
                    Could be, Brian. Good guess. My thought is that the area is now well
                    grown, but the terrain would be the same. Worth a look.

                    Stephen