Re: [TalkAntietam] Where Union Army reserve lay

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
      Here is the back of the view. Has anyone seen any other views by this
      photographer? Thanks

      http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/unionreservesback.jpg

      Stephen Recker

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
        Stephen,

        Does this particular stereoview of which you are curious about
        have a particular number? Is it labelled in some way indicative
        of where it was taken?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
          The evidence on the back suggests that the series starts with
          Gettysburg (at least through #119) and then includes Antietam and other
          sites. That would put #108 in Gettysburg.

          Stephen

          On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 06:15 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Stephen,
          >
          > Does this particular stereoview of which you are curious about
          > have a particular number? Is it labelled in some way indicative
          > of where it was taken?

        • RoteBaron
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
            Stephen,

            After extensive searching, I found only one mention of McPherson. Interestingly it was a person also seeking more info on him.

            A person offered the info below:

            The 1890 City Directory listing McKeesport does have what you are looking for in it. It states that his business is at 605 Locust St. & that he is the
            photographer. His residence is at 307 9th St., McKeesport. That would not be far from the business address.

            The thread is online at:
            http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PAWASHIN/2006-04/1144770932

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
              Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
              reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
              know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
              Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
              which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.

              Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
              type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008

                You rock. Thanks. Looks like a field trip is in order.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Good thought. I just recently flipped through those and don't remember.
                  maybe I'll show it to Tim Smith. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 09:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                  > Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
                  > reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
                  > know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
                  > Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
                  > which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.
                  >
                  > Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
                  > type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

                • Brian Richardson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
                    Could it be looking west from the area of the Taneytown Road, perhaps
                    between the present day Howe Ave and the Blacksmith Shop Rd? It looks
                    like perhaps the southern flank of Big Round Top begins to ascend from
                    the left in both images of the stereographic view. I think 6th Corps
                    and the artillery reserve were in that general location.

                    Brian Richardson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 30, 2008
                      Could be, Brian. Good guess. My thought is that the area is now well
                      grown, but the terrain would be the same. Worth a look.

                      Stephen