where Union Army reserve lay

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29 7:48 AM
      Stephen,

      What is the source and provenance of the image?

      My first thought is a western battlefield.

      Bill Christen
      gwjchris@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29 2:44 PM
        Here is the back of the view. Has anyone seen any other views by this
        photographer? Thanks

        http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/unionreservesback.jpg

        Stephen Recker

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29 3:15 PM
          Stephen,

          Does this particular stereoview of which you are curious about
          have a particular number? Is it labelled in some way indicative
          of where it was taken?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29 5:02 PM
            The evidence on the back suggests that the series starts with
            Gettysburg (at least through #119) and then includes Antietam and other
            sites. That would put #108 in Gettysburg.

            Stephen

            On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 06:15 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Stephen,
            >
            > Does this particular stereoview of which you are curious about
            > have a particular number? Is it labelled in some way indicative
            > of where it was taken?

          • RoteBaron
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29 5:55 PM
              Stephen,

              After extensive searching, I found only one mention of McPherson. Interestingly it was a person also seeking more info on him.

              A person offered the info below:

              The 1890 City Directory listing McKeesport does have what you are looking for in it. It states that his business is at 605 Locust St. & that he is the
              photographer. His residence is at 307 9th St., McKeesport. That would not be far from the business address.

              The thread is online at:
              http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PAWASHIN/2006-04/1144770932

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29 6:54 PM
                Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
                reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
                know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
                Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
                which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.

                Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
                type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29 7:07 PM

                  You rock. Thanks. Looks like a field trip is in order.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29 7:08 PM
                    Good thought. I just recently flipped through those and don't remember.
                    maybe I'll show it to Tim Smith. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    On Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 09:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                    > Hmmm. Well, since all it indicates is some sort of Union Army
                    > reserve location, I wonder which location and which Corps? I do
                    > know that the Sixth Corps was held in reserve behind the Round
                    > Tops and in the area of the Taneytown Road. So, if we could know
                    > which areas were designated as Reserve Areas, that might help.
                    >
                    > Also, in the same vein, I wonder if Frassanito has any similar
                    > type photos in his books about Gettysburg "then" and "now"?????

                  • Brian Richardson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29 9:10 PM
                      Could it be looking west from the area of the Taneytown Road, perhaps
                      between the present day Howe Ave and the Blacksmith Shop Rd? It looks
                      like perhaps the southern flank of Big Round Top begins to ascend from
                      the left in both images of the stereographic view. I think 6th Corps
                      and the artillery reserve were in that general location.

                      Brian Richardson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 30 3:37 AM
                        Could be, Brian. Good guess. My thought is that the area is now well
                        grown, but the terrain would be the same. Worth a look.

                        Stephen