Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

  • Sharon Barnes
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
      You have the wrong person. I'm Thomas in N.C.

      Tom Clemens wrote:

      > Dear Group,
      > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia scavengr
      > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
      > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I need not
      > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find it.
      > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
      >
      > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence, occupation, etc.
      > for:
      >
      > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
      > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
      > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
      > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
      > 1/31/1861
      > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l. Conven.
      > 1864
      > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint into?
      > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
      > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book about
      > Lincoln & Stanton
      > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro to the
      > book.
      >
      > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech, on-line and
      > searchable would be great.
      >
      > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would "call the
      > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
      >
      > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3, 1862.
      > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
      >
      > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph wrote to
      > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of the enemy
      > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
      >
      > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation, second
      > place is two copies!!!
      > Thanks all!

    • Oliver Gamble
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
          Oliver,
          No I do not see that quotation in Jomini. Any other idieas? It seemed
          likely since Carman went to a military school, but did not find it
          there.
          Tom

          Oliver Gamble wrote:

          > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
          > Encoding: quoted-printable
        • Oliver Gamble
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
              Thank you.
              Baron? :-)

              Oliver Gamble wrote:

              > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
              > Encoding: quoted-printable
            • Ray Ortensie
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
                Harriett?

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002

                  The phrase is not in Jomini's first book. I didn't think it would be since it was written before he left Napoleon and joined the Russians. I have several other books on Napoleon and will see if I can find it in any of them.

                  O.G.

                • ringgold61
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
                    > You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                    Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                    > O.G.

                    Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                    Mark A. Pflum
                  • Oliver Gamble
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002

                      >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                      Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                      >   O.G.

                      Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                      Mark A. Pflum

                      Correct.

                      O.G.

                    • Ray Ortensie
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                        were you looking for Louis?

                        Ray

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                          Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

                          >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                          Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                          >   O.G.

                          Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                          Mark A. Pflum

                          Correct.

                          O.G.

                        • moenwanda
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                            Hi Tom,

                            You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

                            http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
                            sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
                            20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
                            01

                            Very best,

                            Moe

                          • moenwanda
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                              Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

                              http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

                              Moe

                              --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                              > Dear Group,
                              > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                              scavengr
                              > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                              > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                              need not
                              > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                              it.
                              > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                              >
                              > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                              occupation, etc.
                              > for:
                              >
                              > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                              > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                              > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                              > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                              > 1/31/1861
                              > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                              Conven.
                              > 1864
                              > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                              into?
                              > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                              > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                              about
                              > Lincoln & Stanton
                              > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                              to the
                              > book.
                              >

                              > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                              on-line and
                              > searchable would be great.
                              >
                              > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                              "call the
                              > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                              >
                              > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                              1862.
                              > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                              >
                              > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                              wrote to
                              > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                              the enemy
                              > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                              >

                              > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                              second
                              > place is two copies!!!
                              > Thanks all!
                            • Tom Clemens
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
                                Moe,
                                I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
                                Thanks
                                Tom

                                Monitoring Service trial
                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM