Re: [TalkAntietam] Remember Reno

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19 4:48 AM
      Thank you!

      >>> Robert Moore <cenantua@...> 07/18/08 11:41 PM >>>
      Marcus Reno's great grandfather was John David Reno (Born 16 April 1746 in Prince William Co., Va.)

      Jesse Reno's great grandfather was Benjamin Reno (Born 3 Feb. 1739/1740 in Prince William Co., Va.)

      Both John David and Benjamin were sons of John and Susannah Thorn Reno. So, Jesse and Marcus were 3rd cousins.

      Robert Moore
      www.cenantua.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19 7:08 AM
        And what about Janet??????

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19 7:34 PM
          Well, if you really want to know... a source on the Web shows that she was the grandaughter of a Reno (Rasmus Reno) who was born in Denmark in 1866.

          Robert Moore
          www.cenantua.wordpress.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23 7:21 PM
            I was flipping through a stack of old CW magazines and came across and
            article by KM Brown entitled, "Mama's Darlings Amidst the Honey Bees,
            132n Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry at Antietam." It is in Virginia
            Country's Civil War magazine from 1986.

            "As the 132nd moved through the Roulette farmyard, they came within
            view of a cluster of whitewashed crates behind the house. Beehives!
            Farmer Roulette raised bees. The officers and men were unconcerned. The
            air was alive with bullets and shells. Case shot burst overhead. On
            came the 132nd. The order was given to "double-quick" the pace. "Mama's
            Darlings" stormed through the Roulette yard. Suddenly, a shot from one
            of D.H. Hill's distant Confederate batteries crashed into the hives.,
            sending swarms of bees into the faces of the pennsylvanians. As the
            troops crowded into the grounds around the farmhouse, the bees swarmed
            among them."

            It goes on for three very long and detailed paragraphs. Alas, no
            attribution.

            If anyone runs into Kent M. Brown at Ted Alexander's Gettysburg
            conference this weekend, maybe you could ask him where he got the story
            about the cannon hitting the beehives.

            Cheers,
            Stephen Recker
            Antietam Battlefield Guides

            P.O. Box 705
            Sharpsburg, MD 21782
            240-217-3664
            800-417-9596

            http://www.virtualantietam.com
            http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
            http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
          • thirdpaclugh
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28 6:22 AM

              > I was flipping through a stack of old CW magazines and came across and
              > article by KM Brown entitled, "Mama's Darlings Amidst the Honey Bees,
              > 132n Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry at Antietam." It is in Virginia
              > Country's Civil War magazine from 1986.
              >
              > "As the 132nd moved through the Roulette farmyard, they came within
              > view of a cluster of whitewashed crates behind the house. Beehives!
              > Farmer Roulette raised bees. The officers and men were unconcerned. The
              > air was alive with bullets and shells. Case shot burst overhead. On
              > came the 132nd. The order was given to "double-quick" the pace. "Mama's
              > Darlings" stormed through the Roulette yard. Suddenly, a shot from one
              > of D.H. Hill's distant Confederate batteries crashed into the hives.,
              > sending swarms of bees into the faces of the pennsylvanians. As the
              > troops crowded into the grounds around the farmhouse, the bees swarmed
              > among them."
              >
              > It goes on for three very long and detailed paragraphs. Alas, no
              > attribution.
              >
              > If anyone runs into Kent M. Brown at Ted Alexander's Gettysburg
              > conference this weekend, maybe you could ask him where he got the story
              > about the cannon hitting the beehives.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Stephen Recker
              > Antietam Battlefield Guides
              >
              > P.O. Box 705
              > Sharpsburg, MD 21782
              > 240-217-3664
              > 800-417-9596

              I have been trying to respond to this post for over a week now. It
              bounces back to me as undeliverable. Here is my final attempt:

              I recollected reading about this in John Priest's book, " Antietam:
              The Soldiers' Battle" a few years back. I pulled the book and located
              the reference but it credits the bee's disturbance to the 130th P.V.I.
              who broke down the Roulette farm fence in this manner...." Rushing
              across the open ground, the 130th Pennsylvania quickly smashed the
              picket fence bordering the orchard to splinters with its rifle butts.
              The air buzzed and whirrled with thousands of enraged honey bees,
              after the bumbling Pennsylvanians disturbed their hives on the eastern
              end of the lane. The bees, as Private Hemminger put it, "urged them
              forward."

              the citation was credited to the John D. Hemminger, Co. E., 130th PA.
              Diary, September 16 and 17, 1862, located in the Michael Winey
              Collection at the U.S. Military College at Carlysle, Pa.

              Since the 132nd PVI was in formation to the rear of the 130th and to
              the left, might it be possible that the bees were disturbed by the
              130th as they entered the Roulette Orchard and that the 132nd then
              received the brunt of the bees afterwards? There is no mention of any
              artillary rounds destroying the bee hives but this may have occured
              after the 130th left the grounds and were already advanced to the area
              in front of the sunken road.

              Dave Clugh