Help needed

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
      Dear Group,
      I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia scavengr
      hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
      following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I need not
      only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find it.
      Warning: most of this is very obscure!

      1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence, occupation, etc.
      for:

      Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
      E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
      Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
      Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
      1/31/1861
      James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l. Conven.
      1864
      G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint into?
      Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
      W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book about
      Lincoln & Stanton
      Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro to the
      book.

      2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech, on-line and
      searchable would be great.

      Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would "call the
      role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"

      Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3, 1862.
      (Not in OR or Naval OR)

      Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph wrote to
      Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of the enemy
      army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"

      First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation, second
      place is two copies!!!
      Thanks all!
    • Sharon Barnes
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
        You have the wrong person. I'm Thomas in N.C.

        Tom Clemens wrote:

        > Dear Group,
        > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia scavengr
        > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
        > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I need not
        > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find it.
        > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
        >
        > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence, occupation, etc.
        > for:
        >
        > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
        > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
        > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
        > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
        > 1/31/1861
        > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l. Conven.
        > 1864
        > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint into?
        > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
        > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book about
        > Lincoln & Stanton
        > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro to the
        > book.
        >
        > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech, on-line and
        > searchable would be great.
        >
        > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would "call the
        > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
        >
        > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3, 1862.
        > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
        >
        > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph wrote to
        > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of the enemy
        > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
        >
        > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation, second
        > place is two copies!!!
        > Thanks all!

      • Oliver Gamble
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002

          Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 11:44 AM
          Subject: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

          Dear Group,

          Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph wrote to
          Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of the enemy
          army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"

          I THINK you might find it in Jomoni's book "The Art Of War". I seem to recall the quote was used to describe Napoleon's methods and use of sarcasm at times to prod allies and subordinates.
          I know he used that method during Waterloo when told that Gouchey was slow because the roads were muddy he replied "Tell him the roads are muddy for everyone"

          O.G.
        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
            Oliver,
            No I do not see that quotation in Jomini. Any other idieas? It seemed
            likely since Carman went to a military school, but did not find it
            there.
            Tom

            Oliver Gamble wrote:

            > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
            > Encoding: quoted-printable
          • Oliver Gamble
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002

              Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:29 PM
              Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

              Oliver,
              No I do not see that quotation in Jomini.  Any other idieas?  It seemed
              likely since Carman went to a military school, but did not find it
              there.
              Tom
              I was not sure I had read it there. Perhaps it is in his first book "Treatise on Great Military Operations", which was written while still in the French Army.
              I have a copy of it written in French and will see if I can find the quote tomorrow.

              You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

              O.G.
            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2002
                Thank you.
                Baron? :-)

                Oliver Gamble wrote:

                > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
                > Encoding: quoted-printable
              • Ray Ortensie
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
                  Harriett?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002

                    Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 7:26 AM

                    Harriett?

                    Ray;
                    No. Let me know when you give up. <vbg>

                    Tom;

                    The phrase is not in Jomini's first book. I didn't think it would be since it was written before he left Napoleon and joined the Russians. I have several other books on Napoleon and will see if I can find it in any of them.

                    O.G.

                  • ringgold61
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 22, 2002
                      > You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                      Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                      > O.G.

                      Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                      Mark A. Pflum
                    • Oliver Gamble
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002

                        Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:51 AM
                        Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

                        >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                        Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                        >   O.G.

                        Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                        Mark A. Pflum

                        Correct.

                        O.G.

                      • Ray Ortensie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                          were you looking for Louis?

                          Ray

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
                            Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

                            >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
                            Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

                            >   O.G.

                            Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

                            Mark A. Pflum

                            Correct.

                            O.G.

                          • moenwanda
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                              Hi Tom,

                              You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

                              http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
                              sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
                              20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
                              01

                              Very best,

                              Moe

                            • moenwanda
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
                                Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

                                http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

                                Moe

                                --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                                > Dear Group,
                                > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
                                scavengr
                                > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
                                > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
                                need not
                                > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
                                it.
                                > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
                                >
                                > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
                                occupation, etc.
                                > for:
                                >
                                > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
                                > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
                                > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
                                > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
                                > 1/31/1861
                                > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
                                Conven.
                                > 1864
                                > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
                                into?
                                > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
                                > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
                                about
                                > Lincoln & Stanton
                                > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
                                to the
                                > book.
                                >

                                > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
                                on-line and
                                > searchable would be great.
                                >
                                > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
                                "call the
                                > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
                                >
                                > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
                                1862.
                                > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
                                >
                                > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
                                wrote to
                                > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
                                the enemy
                                > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
                                >

                                > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
                                second
                                > place is two copies!!!
                                > Thanks all!
                              • Tom Clemens
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
                                  Moe,
                                  I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
                                  Thanks
                                  Tom

                                  Monitoring Service trial
                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM