Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Stone mill and house

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Scott,

      I don't have an email address for Kevin. You'll probably have to call the park and asked for his extension.

      From: "Scott Hann" <wutheringheights@...>
      Tom,

      How can I get in touch with Keven? I'm trying to determine how many
      Rohrbach farms, at the time of the battle, had barns. The only
      Rohrbach families I'm aware of are those of Henry and Noah near the
      Lower Bridge.

      Scott

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "RoteBaron" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

      > I was at Antietam last Friday to give a full tour for a friend.
      While at the park, I spoke with my good friend John Hoptak. He talked
      to Keven Walker (the park's expert at historic buildings, etc.) about
      the Stone Mill.

      > Kevin searched the census records and concluded "beyond a reasonable
      doubt" that at least in 1860 the home was occupied by Mr. Solomon and
      Ms. Jennie Lum. Their two daughters (Fannie, 3, and Annie, 1,) lived
      there as well, along with a "servant" named Louisa Marshall.

      > Tom Shay

      of curiosity mostly, but do not remember what I found. Will look again
      when I have time.

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      > I was under the impression that it was owned by a Rohrbach.
      >
      > In a letter from a soldier of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry,
      he only refres to it as a stone mill. His unit charged a group of
      Confederates near the mill late in the afternoon.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        "Absentee" owners were fairly common in the Shrpsburg area. Research shows that Sam Poffenberger did not own that farm at the time of the battle but was living there buying it from his father in law. Also the Nicodemus farm was not purchased by him until the srping of 1863, but he was living there. Carman, and subsequently others, had a tendenct to name things for who lived there, not whose name was on the deed.