Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Stone mill and house

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
      I didn't even know they had Ms then.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: RoteBaron
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 8:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Stone mill and house

      I was at Antietam last Friday to give a full tour for a friend. While at the park, I spoke with my good friend John Hoptak. He talked to Keven Walker (the park's expert at historic buildings, etc.) about the Stone Mill.

      Kevin searched the census records and concluded "beyond a reasonable doubt" that at least in 1860 the home was occupied by Mr. Solomon and Ms. Jennie Lum. Their two daughters (Fannie, 3, and Annie, 1,) lived there as well, along with a "servant" named Louisa Marshall.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 4:43 AM
        Scott,

        I don't have an email address for Kevin. You'll probably have to call the park and asked for his extension.

        From: "Scott Hann" <wutheringheights@...>
        Tom,

        How can I get in touch with Keven? I'm trying to determine how many
        Rohrbach farms, at the time of the battle, had barns. The only
        Rohrbach families I'm aware of are those of Henry and Noah near the
        Lower Bridge.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 2:47 PM
          "Absentee" owners were fairly common in the Shrpsburg area. Research shows that Sam Poffenberger did not own that farm at the time of the battle but was living there buying it from his father in law. Also the Nicodemus farm was not purchased by him until the srping of 1863, but he was living there. Carman, and subsequently others, had a tendenct to name things for who lived there, not whose name was on the deed.