Re: Shepherdstown Fording

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
      Stephen,

      What possibility might exist on September 20th to arrange additional crossings at
      Snavely's Ford and Pry Ford? I realize that this request is a longshot, but thought I'd ask.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
        Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners. Another thought for you all:
        How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle, including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle. Details to follow, but what about the concept?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008

          That sounds like a great idea. My vote is to start at 9am. And
          refreshments and a tour of the field sounds great. I think it should be
          rain or shine.

          I have gotten a commitment from Ian Workman to navigate us across the
          fords. He has a great knowledge of the area. This could be a lot of
          fun. And it could make some good money for the preservation efforts.

          Stephen Recker

          On Monday, June 30, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

          > Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners.
          > Another thought for you all:
          > How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle,
          > including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds
          > for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some
          > refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river
          > but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle.
          > Details to follow, but what about the concept?
          >
          > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
            I think this sounds great and I would definitely be willing to kick
            in a fee for a worthy cause. I'm out searching for maps to print out
            already.

            Steve