Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Paroles

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
      Dave,

      This is great stuff. Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
        I'd like to propose that we put together an informal Battle of
        Shepherdstown muster for this fall that includes a fording of the
        Potomac. I've met a few people recently that tell me they know a lot
        about all of that and I'd love to give them the chance to set the
        record straight, knee deep in the muddy, so to speak. Is anybody else
        in?

        Stephen Recker
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
          Steve,

          Some friends are gathering for an Antietam weekend in October, but I think maybe it will be a little cold to ford the river at that time.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
            September 20th is looking good for the crossing. Tennis shoes and a
            stick is all you will need.

            Stephen Recker

            On Sunday, June 29, 2008, at 08:38 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

            > If the date works, count me in. (I assume that the river is low when we
            > go.) My wife sort of volunteered to watch and be ready to call 911. The
            > last time she and I were on the Potomac when it was low several years
            > ago near Point of Rocks, we saw lots of weeds and two snakes in the
            > shallow water. We weren't thrilled about swimming/wading then. Perhaps
            > we could wade all of the fords the Rebels used? Any good suggestions on
            > footwear?
            >
            > Larry F.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
              Too bad...the weekend before is the Heritage Festival, when I will be in town.

              Would one of you mind falling oafishly into the drink in my stead?

              Harry
              September 20th is looking good for the crossing. Tennis shoes and a
              stick is all you will need.

              Stephen Recker

              On Sunday, June 29, 2008, at 08:38 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

              > If the date works, count me in. (I assume that the river is low when we
              > go.) My wife sort of volunteered to watch and be ready to call 911. The
              > last time she and I were on the Potomac when it was low several years
              > ago near Point of Rocks, we saw lots of weeds and two snakes in the
              > shallow water. We weren't thrilled about swimming/wading then. Perhaps
              > we could wade all of the fords the Rebels used? Any good suggestions on
              > footwear?
              >
              > Larry F.

            • cowie_steve
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                Stephen,

                What possibility might exist on September 20th to arrange additional crossings at
                Snavely's Ford and Pry Ford? I realize that this request is a longshot, but thought I'd ask.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners. Another thought for you all:
                  How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle, including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle. Details to follow, but what about the concept?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008

                    That sounds like a great idea. My vote is to start at 9am. And
                    refreshments and a tour of the field sounds great. I think it should be
                    rain or shine.

                    I have gotten a commitment from Ian Workman to navigate us across the
                    fords. He has a great knowledge of the area. This could be a lot of
                    fun. And it could make some good money for the preservation efforts.

                    Stephen Recker

                    On Monday, June 30, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                    > Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners.
                    > Another thought for you all:
                    > How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle,
                    > including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds
                    > for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some
                    > refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river
                    > but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle.
                    > Details to follow, but what about the concept?
                    >
                    > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                      I think this sounds great and I would definitely be willing to kick
                      in a fee for a worthy cause. I'm out searching for maps to print out
                      already.

                      Steve