Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Little Known Places at Antietam

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
      Bill;

      Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
      the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
      Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
      campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
      my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

      As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
      read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
      West Woods area.

      As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
      Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
      the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
      Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
      where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
      Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
      time he was shot in the neck?

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",