Re: [TalkAntietam] Paroles

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 27, 2008
      I refer you to the Dix-Hill Cartel:

      http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/cartel.html

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dix-Hill_Cartel

      Stephen

      On Friday, June 27, 2008, at 04:02 PM, akula77 wrote:

      > I've enjoyed the discussion of the paroles from HF, but I'm a little
      > foggy on what paroling actually entailed. Can someone explain briefly
      > the parameters of paroles (duration, duties, how do you know if a
      > soldier has violated parole, how were records kept, what was done to
      > those who did and were recaptured, etc)?
      >
      > Or maybe just point me to a book or primary source!
      >
      > Dave
    • David Clugh
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2008
        Information I have from military records indicates that a relative on my Mother's side of my family named Elias Shepler, Sgt. CoB, 20th Reg't PA. Calvary (which later became the 181st Regiment after Lee's surrender) was captured at New Market, Va. on May 30th, 1864. He was immediately "paroled and reported to Harrisburg, PA.(date not given) then sent to Camp Parole, MD. June 21, 1864.
        Further more, he was exchanged at some unstated date and rejoined his unit before Petersburg, VA. fighting at White Oak Road and Five Forks March 31 - April 1, 1865. When Lee's army retreated from Petersburg the 20th was in the vanguard of the "chase" fighting again at Sailor's (Saylors) Creek where Elias Shepler was killed in action April 6th, 1865. He along with others who were buried on that field at Harper & Marshall's Plantation and was reinterred at Poplar Grove Cemetary, Petersburg, VA., Grave No. 692, Section E Division E.

        I have no information as to how the parole worked as far as getting the prisoners from point of capture to Camp Parole. I assume at some point, the railroad came into play.

        I just thought that this might make it more interesting for the group to see actural records of a parolee.

        Your Humble Servant,
        Dave Clugh

        Dave Clugh

        Sergeant, 3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.

        www.hmisite.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
          Dave,

          This is great stuff. Thanks.

          Stephen Recker

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
            I'd like to propose that we put together an informal Battle of
            Shepherdstown muster for this fall that includes a fording of the
            Potomac. I've met a few people recently that tell me they know a lot
            about all of that and I'd love to give them the chance to set the
            record straight, knee deep in the muddy, so to speak. Is anybody else
            in?

            Stephen Recker
          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
              Steve,

              Some friends are gathering for an Antietam weekend in October, but I think maybe it will be a little cold to ford the river at that time.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
                September 20th is looking good for the crossing. Tennis shoes and a
                stick is all you will need.

                Stephen Recker

                On Sunday, June 29, 2008, at 08:38 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                > If the date works, count me in. (I assume that the river is low when we
                > go.) My wife sort of volunteered to watch and be ready to call 911. The
                > last time she and I were on the Potomac when it was low several years
                > ago near Point of Rocks, we saw lots of weeds and two snakes in the
                > shallow water. We weren't thrilled about swimming/wading then. Perhaps
                > we could wade all of the fords the Rebels used? Any good suggestions on
                > footwear?
                >
                > Larry F.

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
                  Too bad...the weekend before is the Heritage Festival, when I will be in town.

                  Would one of you mind falling oafishly into the drink in my stead?

                  Harry
                  September 20th is looking good for the crossing. Tennis shoes and a
                  stick is all you will need.

                  Stephen Recker

                  On Sunday, June 29, 2008, at 08:38 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                  > If the date works, count me in. (I assume that the river is low when we
                  > go.) My wife sort of volunteered to watch and be ready to call 911. The
                  > last time she and I were on the Potomac when it was low several years
                  > ago near Point of Rocks, we saw lots of weeds and two snakes in the
                  > shallow water. We weren't thrilled about swimming/wading then. Perhaps
                  > we could wade all of the fords the Rebels used? Any good suggestions on
                  > footwear?
                  >
                  > Larry F.

                • cowie_steve
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                    Stephen,

                    What possibility might exist on September 20th to arrange additional crossings at
                    Snavely's Ford and Pry Ford? I realize that this request is a longshot, but thought I'd ask.

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                      Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners. Another thought for you all:
                      How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle, including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle. Details to follow, but what about the concept?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                        Tom,

                        That sounds like a great idea. My vote is to start at 9am. And
                        refreshments and a tour of the field sounds great. I think it should be
                        rain or shine.

                        I have gotten a commitment from Ian Workman to navigate us across the
                        fords. He has a great knowledge of the area. This could be a lot of
                        fun. And it could make some good money for the preservation efforts.

                        Stephen Recker

                        On Monday, June 30, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                        > Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners.
                        > Another thought for you all:
                        > How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle,
                        > including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds
                        > for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some
                        > refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river
                        > but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle.
                        > Details to follow, but what about the concept?
                        >
                        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 1 1:42 PM
                          I think this sounds great and I would definitely be willing to kick
                          in a fee for a worthy cause. I'm out searching for maps to print out
                          already.

                          Steve