Paroles

  • akula77
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 27, 2008
      I've enjoyed the discussion of the paroles from HF, but I'm a little
      foggy on what paroling actually entailed. Can someone explain briefly
      the parameters of paroles (duration, duties, how do you know if a
      soldier has violated parole, how were records kept, what was done to
      those who did and were recaptured, etc)?

      Or maybe just point me to a book or primary source!

      Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 27, 2008
        Dave,

        There is a good article in Heidler's "Encyclopedia of the American
        Civil War" on pages 1567-1569. The article sites a MA thesis. I can
        give you the thesis info if you want it.

        Larry F.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 27, 2008
          I refer you to the Dix-Hill Cartel:

          http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/cartel.html

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dix-Hill_Cartel

          Stephen

          On Friday, June 27, 2008, at 04:02 PM, akula77 wrote:

          > I've enjoyed the discussion of the paroles from HF, but I'm a little
          > foggy on what paroling actually entailed. Can someone explain briefly
          > the parameters of paroles (duration, duties, how do you know if a
          > soldier has violated parole, how were records kept, what was done to
          > those who did and were recaptured, etc)?
          >
          > Or maybe just point me to a book or primary source!
          >
          > Dave
        • David Clugh
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2008
            Information I have from military records indicates that a relative on my Mother's side of my family named Elias Shepler, Sgt. CoB, 20th Reg't PA. Calvary (which later became the 181st Regiment after Lee's surrender) was captured at New Market, Va. on May 30th, 1864. He was immediately "paroled and reported to Harrisburg, PA.(date not given) then sent to Camp Parole, MD. June 21, 1864.
            Further more, he was exchanged at some unstated date and rejoined his unit before Petersburg, VA. fighting at White Oak Road and Five Forks March 31 - April 1, 1865. When Lee's army retreated from Petersburg the 20th was in the vanguard of the "chase" fighting again at Sailor's (Saylors) Creek where Elias Shepler was killed in action April 6th, 1865. He along with others who were buried on that field at Harper & Marshall's Plantation and was reinterred at Poplar Grove Cemetary, Petersburg, VA., Grave No. 692, Section E Division E.

            I have no information as to how the parole worked as far as getting the prisoners from point of capture to Camp Parole. I assume at some point, the railroad came into play.

            I just thought that this might make it more interesting for the group to see actural records of a parolee.

            Your Humble Servant,
            Dave Clugh

            Dave Clugh

            Sergeant, 3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.

            www.hmisite.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
              Dave,

              This is great stuff. Thanks.

              Stephen Recker

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
                I'd like to propose that we put together an informal Battle of
                Shepherdstown muster for this fall that includes a fording of the
                Potomac. I've met a few people recently that tell me they know a lot
                about all of that and I'd love to give them the chance to set the
                record straight, knee deep in the muddy, so to speak. Is anybody else
                in?

                Stephen Recker
              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
                  Steve,

                  Some friends are gathering for an Antietam weekend in October, but I think maybe it will be a little cold to ford the river at that time.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
                    September 20th is looking good for the crossing. Tennis shoes and a
                    stick is all you will need.

                    Stephen Recker

                    On Sunday, June 29, 2008, at 08:38 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                    > If the date works, count me in. (I assume that the river is low when we
                    > go.) My wife sort of volunteered to watch and be ready to call 911. The
                    > last time she and I were on the Potomac when it was low several years
                    > ago near Point of Rocks, we saw lots of weeds and two snakes in the
                    > shallow water. We weren't thrilled about swimming/wading then. Perhaps
                    > we could wade all of the fords the Rebels used? Any good suggestions on
                    > footwear?
                    >
                    > Larry F.

                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 29, 2008
                      Too bad...the weekend before is the Heritage Festival, when I will be in town.

                      Would one of you mind falling oafishly into the drink in my stead?

                      Harry
                      September 20th is looking good for the crossing. Tennis shoes and a
                      stick is all you will need.

                      Stephen Recker

                      On Sunday, June 29, 2008, at 08:38 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                      > If the date works, count me in. (I assume that the river is low when we
                      > go.) My wife sort of volunteered to watch and be ready to call 911. The
                      > last time she and I were on the Potomac when it was low several years
                      > ago near Point of Rocks, we saw lots of weeds and two snakes in the
                      > shallow water. We weren't thrilled about swimming/wading then. Perhaps
                      > we could wade all of the fords the Rebels used? Any good suggestions on
                      > footwear?
                      >
                      > Larry F.

                    • cowie_steve
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                        Stephen,

                        What possibility might exist on September 20th to arrange additional crossings at
                        Snavely's Ford and Pry Ford? I realize that this request is a longshot, but thought I'd ask.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                          Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners. Another thought for you all:
                          How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle, including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle. Details to follow, but what about the concept?

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008

                            That sounds like a great idea. My vote is to start at 9am. And
                            refreshments and a tour of the field sounds great. I think it should be
                            rain or shine.

                            I have gotten a commitment from Ian Workman to navigate us across the
                            fords. He has a great knowledge of the area. This could be a lot of
                            fun. And it could make some good money for the preservation efforts.

                            Stephen Recker

                            On Monday, June 30, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                            > Both are on private property, and have somewhat reclusive owners.
                            > Another thought for you all:
                            > How about arranging a walking tour of Shepherdstown Ford battle,
                            > including the Cement Mill area, and charge a small fee to raise funds
                            > for preservation? We may have a source willingto provide some
                            > refreshments and provide guides, etc. We could still wade the river
                            > but also help out saving the area and learn more about the battle.
                            > Details to follow, but what about the concept?
                            >
                            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                          • Steve
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                              I think this sounds great and I would definitely be willing to kick
                              in a fee for a worthy cause. I'm out searching for maps to print out
                              already.

                              Steve