Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Stone mill and house

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2008
      No Bill, it was not a Rohrbach farm. I researched this once, out of curiosity mostly, but do not remember what I found. Will look again when I have time.

      >>> <gwjchris@...> 06/26/08 5:18 PM >>>
      I was under the impression that it was owned by a Rohrbach.

      In a letter from a soldier of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, he only refres to it as a stone mill. His unit charged a group of Confederates near the mill late in the afternoon.

      Bill Christen

      talkantietam
    • RoteBaron
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
        I was at Antietam last Friday to give a full tour for a friend. While at the park, I spoke with my good friend John Hoptak. He talked to Keven Walker (the park's expert at historic buildings, etc.) about the Stone Mill.

        Kevin searched the census records and concluded "beyond a reasonable doubt" that at least in 1860 the home was occupied by Mr. Solomon and Ms. Jennie Lum. Their two daughters (Fannie, 3, and Annie, 1,) lived there as well, along with a "servant" named Louisa Marshall.

        No Bill, it was not a Rohrbach farm. I researched this once, out of curiosity mostly, but do not remember what I found. Will look again when I have time.

        >>> <gwjchris@...> 06/26/08 5:18 PM >>>
        I was under the impression that it was owned by a Rohrbach.

        In a letter from a soldier of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, he only refres to it as a stone mill. His unit charged a group of Confederates near the mill late in the afternoon.

        Bill Christen

        talkantietam

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008

          How can I get in touch with Keven? I'm trying to determine how many
          Rohrbach farms, at the time of the battle, had barns. The only
          Rohrbach families I'm aware of are those of Henry and Noah near the
          Lower Bridge.

          Scott

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "RoteBaron" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

          > I was at Antietam last Friday to give a full tour for a friend.
          While at the park, I spoke with my good friend John Hoptak. He talked
          to Keven Walker (the park's expert at historic buildings, etc.) about
          the Stone Mill.

          > Kevin searched the census records and concluded "beyond a reasonable
          doubt" that at least in 1860 the home was occupied by Mr. Solomon and
          Ms. Jennie Lum. Their two daughters (Fannie, 3, and Annie, 1,) lived
          there as well, along with a "servant" named Louisa Marshall.

          > Tom Shay

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
            I didn't even know they had Ms then.

          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
              Scott,

              I don't have an email address for Kevin. You'll probably have to call the park and asked for his extension.

              From: "Scott Hann" <wutheringheights@...>
              Tom,

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                "Absentee" owners were fairly common in the Shrpsburg area. Research shows that Sam Poffenberger did not own that farm at the time of the battle but was living there buying it from his father in law. Also the Nicodemus farm was not purchased by him until the srping of 1863, but he was living there. Carman, and subsequently others, had a tendenct to name things for who lived there, not whose name was on the deed.