Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: HF Prisoners

  • Troy Cool
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
      Sorry,

      Sincerely,
      Troy

      --- On Thu, 6/26/08, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

      From: G E Mayers <gerry1952@...>
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: HF Prisoners
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 9:24 PM

      Dear Stephen,

      Since they were "paroled" prisoners from the surrendered HF
      garrison, and since there were so many of them, would it not make
      sense to have them escorted back to DC under guard of Union
      infantry. After all, according to the protocols, they could not
      rejoin their larger units and resume active duty until they were
      properly exchanged, correct?

      Corey, the surrender of the US garrison at HF (Harper's Ferry)
      during the Maryland 1862 campaign would remain the largest
      single, mass surrender of US Army forces until the garrison on
      Bataan surrendered in early 1942 to the Japanese Imperial Army
      during the Second World War.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
        Interesting. Thanks.

        Stephen