RE: Stone mill and house

  • gwjchris@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2008
      I was under the impression that it was owned by a Rohrbach.

      In a letter from a soldier of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, he only refres to it as a stone mill. His unit charged a group of Confederates near the mill late in the afternoon.

      Bill Christen

      talkantietam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2008
        No Bill, it was not a Rohrbach farm. I researched this once, out of curiosity mostly, but do not remember what I found. Will look again when I have time.

        >>> <gwjchris@...> 06/26/08 5:18 PM >>>
        I was under the impression that it was owned by a Rohrbach.

        In a letter from a soldier of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, he only refres to it as a stone mill. His unit charged a group of Confederates near the mill late in the afternoon.

        Bill Christen

        talkantietam
      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
          I was at Antietam last Friday to give a full tour for a friend. While at the park, I spoke with my good friend John Hoptak. He talked to Keven Walker (the park's expert at historic buildings, etc.) about the Stone Mill.

          Kevin searched the census records and concluded "beyond a reasonable doubt" that at least in 1860 the home was occupied by Mr. Solomon and Ms. Jennie Lum. Their two daughters (Fannie, 3, and Annie, 1,) lived there as well, along with a "servant" named Louisa Marshall.

          No Bill, it was not a Rohrbach farm. I researched this once, out of curiosity mostly, but do not remember what I found. Will look again when I have time.

          >>> <gwjchris@...> 06/26/08 5:18 PM >>>
          I was under the impression that it was owned by a Rohrbach.

          In a letter from a soldier of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, he only refres to it as a stone mill. His unit charged a group of Confederates near the mill late in the afternoon.

          Bill Christen

          talkantietam

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008

            How can I get in touch with Keven? I'm trying to determine how many
            Rohrbach farms, at the time of the battle, had barns. The only
            Rohrbach families I'm aware of are those of Henry and Noah near the
            Lower Bridge.

            Scott

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "RoteBaron" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

            > I was at Antietam last Friday to give a full tour for a friend.
            While at the park, I spoke with my good friend John Hoptak. He talked
            to Keven Walker (the park's expert at historic buildings, etc.) about
            the Stone Mill.

            > Kevin searched the census records and concluded "beyond a reasonable
            doubt" that at least in 1860 the home was occupied by Mr. Solomon and
            Ms. Jennie Lum. Their two daughters (Fannie, 3, and Annie, 1,) lived
            there as well, along with a "servant" named Louisa Marshall.

            > Tom Shay

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
              I didn't even know they had Ms then.

            • RoteBaron@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                Scott,

                I don't have an email address for Kevin. You'll probably have to call the park and asked for his extension.

                From: "Scott Hann" <wutheringheights@...>
                Tom,

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                  "Absentee" owners were fairly common in the Shrpsburg area. Research shows that Sam Poffenberger did not own that farm at the time of the battle but was living there buying it from his father in law. Also the Nicodemus farm was not purchased by him until the srping of 1863, but he was living there. Carman, and subsequently others, had a tendenct to name things for who lived there, not whose name was on the deed.