Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: HF Prisoners

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
      He is talking about the paroled Union soldiers from the HF
      surrender....

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
        Corey,

        Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were a bunch
        of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were marched back
        to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head around, I
        know.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
          Dear Stephen,

          Since they were "paroled" prisoners from the surrendered HF
          garrison, and since there were so many of them, would it not make
          sense to have them escorted back to DC under guard of Union
          infantry. After all, according to the protocols, they could not
          rejoin their larger units and resume active duty until they were
          properly exchanged, correct?

          Corey, the surrender of the US garrison at HF (Harper's Ferry)
          during the Maryland 1862 campaign would remain the largest
          single, mass surrender of US Army forces until the garrison on
          Bataan surrendered in early 1942 to the Japanese Imperial Army
          during the Second World War.

          > Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were
          > a bunch
          > of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were
          > marched back
          > to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head
          > around, I
          > know.
          >
          > Stephen
          >
          > On Thursday, June 26, 2008, at 02:26 PM, corey.macleod wrote:
          >
          >> Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate
          >> prisoners
          >> back to Washington?
          >>
          >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker
          >> <recker@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at
          >> > Harper's
          >> > Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union
          >> > Army
          >> > marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington
          >> > and to
          >> > prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the
          >> > Union
          >> > prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.
          >> >
          >> > Stephen Recker

        • Troy Cool
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
            Fellows,
            It is my understanding that after the parole the units left under the command and discipline of thier own officers (one reason the officers retained thier side arms) and were not technically under guard until they had returned to Federal lines. Here they then were dealt with in various manners to prevent desertion etc.  I believe the first troops encountered would have been Franklin's Corps but have not read of the actual exchange.  Anyone know those details?

          • Troy Cool
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
              Sorry,

              Sincerely,