Re: HF Prisoners

  • corey.macleod
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
      Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate prisoners
      back to Washington?

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
        He is talking about the paroled Union soldiers from the HF
        surrender....

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
          Corey,

          Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were a bunch
          of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were marched back
          to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head around, I
          know.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
            Dear Stephen,

            Since they were "paroled" prisoners from the surrendered HF
            garrison, and since there were so many of them, would it not make
            sense to have them escorted back to DC under guard of Union
            infantry. After all, according to the protocols, they could not
            rejoin their larger units and resume active duty until they were
            properly exchanged, correct?

            Corey, the surrender of the US garrison at HF (Harper's Ferry)
            during the Maryland 1862 campaign would remain the largest
            single, mass surrender of US Army forces until the garrison on
            Bataan surrendered in early 1942 to the Japanese Imperial Army
            during the Second World War.

            > Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were
            > a bunch
            > of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were
            > marched back
            > to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head
            > around, I
            > know.
            >
            > Stephen
            >
            > On Thursday, June 26, 2008, at 02:26 PM, corey.macleod wrote:
            >
            >> Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate
            >> prisoners
            >> back to Washington?
            >>
            >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker
            >> <recker@...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at
            >> > Harper's
            >> > Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union
            >> > Army
            >> > marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington
            >> > and to
            >> > prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the
            >> > Union
            >> > prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.
            >> >
            >> > Stephen Recker

          • Troy Cool
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
              Fellows,
              It is my understanding that after the parole the units left under the command and discipline of thier own officers (one reason the officers retained thier side arms) and were not technically under guard until they had returned to Federal lines. Here they then were dealt with in various manners to prevent desertion etc.  I believe the first troops encountered would have been Franklin's Corps but have not read of the actual exchange.  Anyone know those details?

            • Troy Cool
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                Sorry,

                Sincerely,