Re: [TalkAntietam] HF Prisoners

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
      The Ninth Vermont's history is online (link is below). Starting around page 25, their experiences during surrender of Harper Ferry are told. I posted some notable excerpts below....

      After the plundering immediately following the surrender was stopped, there was little to compain of in the treatment accorded to the Union troops.

      Footnote: We were placed under guard of General Branch�s division and were treated very kindly by General Branch and his command, who evinced much sorrow for us.��Colonel Stannard.

      When the order came to start, the regiments marched down to the pontoon bridge crossing into Maryland, past a line of Virginia planters arrayed on the bank, watching for negroes who might try to escape with the troops. All such were at once claimed and dragged from the ranks. In one case a dark-complexioned soldier of the Ninth was claimed and collared by a planter, who discovered his mistake when the soldier's arm shot out. The claimant measured his length on the ground, and arose in great wrath; but the man easily established his membership of the regiment, and passed on with it, unmolested.

      The march of the regiment to Annapolis began on the 16th of September, and occupied five days. It was not a triumphal procession. The men were without tents and but few had blankets, and rations were poor and scanty. The only comfort about it was that it was not toward Libby prison.

      Near Frederick the column met crowds of stragglers of McClellan's army,and among them several men of the First Vermont brigade, following the army to Antietam; and next day, the 17th, the roar of the battle there came plainly to their ears. Stannard allowed no wandering from the ranks, on the march, and the regiment moved in noticeably better shape than most of the paroled regiments.8It averaged twenty miles a day, and the last hot day made twenty-three miles, arriving at Annapolis Sunday, the 21st, at 6 P. M.

      The footsore men were glad to halt and go into camp, though there was scanty shelter for the 10,000 paroled prisoners now collected there, and no comfort in the old camps, filled with vermin, in which they were quartered. A fresh disappointment came in the news that they were to be sent to a parole camp at Chicago, instead of being allowed, as they had hoped, to return to Vermont until exchanged. They stayed in Annapolis but three days.On the 25th they took boat to Baltimore and thence went by train to Chicago.

      The unit's history is online at:
      http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:_HNmkk-JULYJ:www.vermontcivilwar.org/bene/23.pdf+Harper+Ferry+General+Wool+ordered+parole+Annapolis&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=40&gl=us

      From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
      If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at Harper's
      Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union Army
      marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington and to
      prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the Union
      prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

    • corey.macleod
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
        Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate prisoners
        back to Washington?

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
          He is talking about the paroled Union soldiers from the HF
          surrender....

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
            Corey,

            Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were a bunch
            of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were marched back
            to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head around, I
            know.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
              Dear Stephen,

              Since they were "paroled" prisoners from the surrendered HF
              garrison, and since there were so many of them, would it not make
              sense to have them escorted back to DC under guard of Union
              infantry. After all, according to the protocols, they could not
              rejoin their larger units and resume active duty until they were
              properly exchanged, correct?

              Corey, the surrender of the US garrison at HF (Harper's Ferry)
              during the Maryland 1862 campaign would remain the largest
              single, mass surrender of US Army forces until the garrison on
              Bataan surrendered in early 1942 to the Japanese Imperial Army
              during the Second World War.

              > Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were
              > a bunch
              > of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were
              > marched back
              > to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head
              > around, I
              > know.
              >
              > Stephen
              >
              > On Thursday, June 26, 2008, at 02:26 PM, corey.macleod wrote:
              >
              >> Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate
              >> prisoners
              >> back to Washington?
              >>
              >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker
              >> <recker@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at
              >> > Harper's
              >> > Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union
              >> > Army
              >> > marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington
              >> > and to
              >> > prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the
              >> > Union
              >> > prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.
              >> >
              >> > Stephen Recker

            • Troy Cool
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                Fellows,
                It is my understanding that after the parole the units left under the command and discipline of thier own officers (one reason the officers retained thier side arms) and were not technically under guard until they had returned to Federal lines. Here they then were dealt with in various manners to prevent desertion etc.  I believe the first troops encountered would have been Franklin's Corps but have not read of the actual exchange.  Anyone know those details?

              • Troy Cool
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                  Sorry,

                  Sincerely,