Stone Mill and House

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
      The set of buildings southeast of Sharpsburg are always referred to as the Stone Mill and the Stone House. Was there a family associated with these structures? Can I assume their name wasn't Stone?
      Tom Shay (I'll be stomping the fields of Antietam on Friday June 27)

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
        On a similar note, I'm looking for information about Captain Hansford
        D. D. Twiggs, Company G, 1st Georgia (Regulars) who was wounded and
        captured in the house on this property, possibly by a member of
        Company K, 45th Pennsylvania. I've already consulted the Official
        Records, Carman and the regimental history of the 45th.
      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
          I found some info on the building's name. Within Adelman & Smith's "Antietam Then & Now" book, it states on page 31 adjacent to the photo:

          "Miller's mill C. 1906. Located at the edge of Sharpsburg, the mill was converted into a Confederate stronghold until captured by Union forces. Privately owned, the mill stands today..."

          From: RoteBaron@...
          The set of buildings southeast of Sharpsburg are always referred to as the Stone Mill and the Stone House. Was there a family associated with these structures? Can I assume their name wasn't Stone?
          Tom Shay (I'll be stomping the fields of Antietam on Friday June 27)

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
            If it's safe to assume the Stone Mill and house were not called the Stone
            mill and house because the family's name was Stone, then is it safe to
            assume the mill wasn't called Miller's because the family's name was Miller?

            Seems damn convenient, if you get my drift.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
              Given that there is a Miller's Sawmill Road, where is Miller's Sawmill?
              Was the Stone Mill possibly a sawmill?

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                I'm so confused.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Harry..sorry for the confusion.

                  I'll be at Antietam on Friday and will pose these questions to NPS staff.

                  From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
                  I'm so confused.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                    That's OK.I'm usually confused.

                    I'll be at Antietam on Friday and will pose these questions to NPS staff.

                    From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@comcast. <mailto:hjs21%40comcast.net> net>
                    I'm so confused.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008

                      Per the C & O Canal Companion, Miller's Basin, located at mile 70.7, was a small
                      community located next to the canal that included Miller's Sawmill. Lee Barron, IIRC, briefly
                      describes the origin of Mr. Miller's sawmill in "History of Sharpsburg."

                      Best,

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                        Tom Shay, just joining, but it looks like you've got your answer.

                        Scott, I am assuming you've seen Twiggs' letter to Carman describing his wounding and the Stone house? If not, contact me off-line. He says he cannot remember which PA regiment captured him. Does the regimental history confirm the story?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                          Thanks, Steve. That clarifies my question regarding Miller Sawmill.

                          Still trying to get any info about Stone Mill and House. What was name of family that lived there?

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 25, 2008
                            If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at Harper's
                            Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union Army
                            marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington and to
                            prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the Union
                            prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.

                            Stephen Recker
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                              Stephen,

                              Dennis Frye in B&G Sept. 1987 p. 53 states that "With or without
                              colors, each Federal regiment began maarching toward Frederick,
                              Maryland during the late morning of September 16. With less than two
                              days' rations, the conquered garrison eventually reached Annapolis on
                              the 21st....During a brief recuperation at Annapolis" they learned
                              they were to be sent to Camp Douglas at Chicago. They arrived there
                              on 27 Sept after transportation in cattle cars. Not all went to
                              Douglas, three-month units, 12th NY State Militia and 87th Ohio
                              Infantry were mustered out; 1st and 3rd Maryland PHB remained at
                              Annapolis until exchanged.

                              Larry F.

                              > If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at Harper's
                              > Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union Army
                              > marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington and to
                              > prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the Union
                              > prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.
                              >
                              > Stephen Recker

                            • cowie_steve
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008

                                I had always been under the impression that the stone mill was part of Jacob Avey's 82-
                                acre farm, but Brian at the VC could not confirm this, as it may have been part of the
                                McGraw farm, directly opposite the Lower Bridge Road from the Avey farm. The McGraw
                                property is spelled on some maps as "Magraw." Sorry to not be of further help.

                                Steve

                              • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                  The Ninth Vermont's history is online (link is below). Starting around page 25, their experiences during surrender of Harper Ferry are told. I posted some notable excerpts below....

                                  After the plundering immediately following the surrender was stopped, there was little to compain of in the treatment accorded to the Union troops.

                                  Footnote: We were placed under guard of General Branch�s division and were treated very kindly by General Branch and his command, who evinced much sorrow for us.��Colonel Stannard.

                                  When the order came to start, the regiments marched down to the pontoon bridge crossing into Maryland, past a line of Virginia planters arrayed on the bank, watching for negroes who might try to escape with the troops. All such were at once claimed and dragged from the ranks. In one case a dark-complexioned soldier of the Ninth was claimed and collared by a planter, who discovered his mistake when the soldier's arm shot out. The claimant measured his length on the ground, and arose in great wrath; but the man easily established his membership of the regiment, and passed on with it, unmolested.

                                  The march of the regiment to Annapolis began on the 16th of September, and occupied five days. It was not a triumphal procession. The men were without tents and but few had blankets, and rations were poor and scanty. The only comfort about it was that it was not toward Libby prison.

                                  Near Frederick the column met crowds of stragglers of McClellan's army,and among them several men of the First Vermont brigade, following the army to Antietam; and next day, the 17th, the roar of the battle there came plainly to their ears. Stannard allowed no wandering from the ranks, on the march, and the regiment moved in noticeably better shape than most of the paroled regiments.8It averaged twenty miles a day, and the last hot day made twenty-three miles, arriving at Annapolis Sunday, the 21st, at 6 P. M.

                                  The footsore men were glad to halt and go into camp, though there was scanty shelter for the 10,000 paroled prisoners now collected there, and no comfort in the old camps, filled with vermin, in which they were quartered. A fresh disappointment came in the news that they were to be sent to a parole camp at Chicago, instead of being allowed, as they had hoped, to return to Vermont until exchanged. They stayed in Annapolis but three days.On the 25th they took boat to Baltimore and thence went by train to Chicago.

                                  The unit's history is online at:
                                  http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:_HNmkk-JULYJ:www.vermontcivilwar.org/bene/23.pdf+Harper+Ferry+General+Wool+ordered+parole+Annapolis&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=40&gl=us

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                    Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate prisoners
                                    back to Washington?

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                      He is talking about the paroled Union soldiers from the HF
                                      surrender....

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                        Corey,

                                        Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were a bunch
                                        of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were marched back
                                        to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head around, I
                                        know.

                                        Stephen

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                          Dear Stephen,

                                          Since they were "paroled" prisoners from the surrendered HF
                                          garrison, and since there were so many of them, would it not make
                                          sense to have them escorted back to DC under guard of Union
                                          infantry. After all, according to the protocols, they could not
                                          rejoin their larger units and resume active duty until they were
                                          properly exchanged, correct?

                                          Corey, the surrender of the US garrison at HF (Harper's Ferry)
                                          during the Maryland 1862 campaign would remain the largest
                                          single, mass surrender of US Army forces until the garrison on
                                          Bataan surrendered in early 1942 to the Japanese Imperial Army
                                          during the Second World War.

                                          > Howdy. Nope. After the surrender of Harper's Ferry, there were
                                          > a bunch
                                          > of Union prisoners, not Confederate prisoners. They were
                                          > marched back
                                          > to DC under Union guard. It is kind of hard to get your head
                                          > around, I
                                          > know.
                                          >
                                          > Stephen
                                          >
                                          > On Thursday, June 26, 2008, at 02:26 PM, corey.macleod wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Stephen, do you mean Union soldiers marched the confederate
                                          >> prisoners
                                          >> back to Washington?
                                          >>
                                          >> --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker
                                          >> <recker@...> wrote:
                                          >> >
                                          >> > If the Confederates captured all of the Union soldiers at
                                          >> > Harper's
                                          >> > Ferry right before the Battle of Antietam, and if the Union
                                          >> > Army
                                          >> > marched the Union prisoners under guard back to Washington
                                          >> > and to
                                          >> > prisons beyond, who were the Union soldiers who guarded the
                                          >> > Union
                                          >> > prisoners as they marched to D.C.? Thanks.
                                          >> >
                                          >> > Stephen Recker

                                        • Troy Cool
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                            Fellows,
                                            It is my understanding that after the parole the units left under the command and discipline of thier own officers (one reason the officers retained thier side arms) and were not technically under guard until they had returned to Federal lines. Here they then were dealt with in various manners to prevent desertion etc.  I believe the first troops encountered would have been Franklin's Corps but have not read of the actual exchange.  Anyone know those details?

                                          • Troy Cool
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 26, 2008
                                              Sorry,

                                              Sincerely,