NY Tribune: Sept 17, 1862 - Page 1, Column 4

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
      The New York Daily Tribune.
      Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
      NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
      PRICE TWO CENTS.

      [Front Page, Fourth Column]

      [from Col 3: ... The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.] H.
      Hill's and A. P. Hill's corps. Had our troops had two hours longer of
      daylight the greater portion of the Rebel army would have been taken
      prisoner, as they were surrounded on three sides, the only mode of
      escaping being a narrow defile in the mountain, which the artillery
      would soon have made impassable.
      Among the Rebel officers known to be killed were Gen. Garland of
      Leesburg, and Col. Strong of the 19th Virginia. The latter's body was
      obtained to-day by flag of truce.
      At daylight this morning our worst fears were realized. The Rebels,
      under cover of night, had left on their way to the Potomac.
      They went to this place, two miles from the mountains, and there took
      the road toward Sharpsburg. They left all their dead on the field,
      and those of the wounded not able to walk were found in the churches
      of Boonesboro'.
      Gen. McClellan was on the field during the whole day and night,
      conducting all movements in person.
      Between 1,200 and 1,500 prisoners were taken during the day, most of
      them by troops under Gen. Hooker. Yesterday, Gen. Franklin's corps
      advanced to a mountain pass six miles nearer Harper's Ferry, where he
      engaged the enemy, holding the pass for about three hours, resulting
      in a complete rout of the enemy and heavy loss. Our loss in the action
      was about 250 killed and wounded. The Rebel loss during the day and
      night was fully 15,000, killed, wounded, and missing. Gen. Lee
      acknowledged to the citizens of Boonesboro' that they had been
      defeated with terrible loss. Our loss in killed and wounded will
      probably reach 3,000. We lost but few prisoners.

      LATER - MORE FIGHTING ON MONDAY.

      BOONESBORO',Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

      This morning at daylight Gen. Pleasonton, with the 8th Illinois
      Cavalry and Capt. Fitchall's Battery, started after the enemy. At
      Boonesboro' he came up with the 9th Virginia Cavalry, with a battery
      acting as rear guard.
      The Illinois Cavalry charged after them through the town and two
      miles out on the Hagerstown turnpike, capturing two of their guns, and
      killed and wounded and took prisoner about thirty of the cavalry.
      Gen. Richardson's Division being in advance, took the road from this
      place toward Sharpsburg, two and a half miles from which twon he came
      up with the enemy in large force, who occupied a long ridge of hills.
      They showed a line of battle one mile and a half long.
      The afternoon was spent in ascertaining the position and force of the
      Rebels, not a sufficient number of our troops having come up to bring
      on an engagement.

      Tuesday Morning, Sept. 16, 1862.

      During last night the larger part of the army arrived on the ground.
      It is now 9 o'clock, and no engagement has taken place. The Rebels
      are rapidly moving across the river.

      HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      The prisoners, 100 in number, captured yesterday by the New-York and
      Illinois Cavalry, and sent to Chambersburg, were this morning brought
      to this city and sent to Camp Curtin. Claggett Fithugh, a resident of
      the vicinity of Chambersburg, was among the number. He has been
      furnishing information to the enemy since their raid into Maryland.
      The dead body of Gen. Garland was found concealed in one of the
      wagons captured by the same party of cavalry, between Hagerstown and
      Williamsport.
      The wire to Hagerstown is again in good working order.

      -----<>-----

      Later from the Front.

      FREDERICK, Md., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      The following is to The Baltimore American:
      The intelligence from the front this morning is of the most cheering
      character. Notwithstanding the bad news from Harper's Ferry, Gen
      McClellan was pursuing them with a vigor most destructive to the
      enemy.
      McClellan pursued the enemy on Monday morning with his reserves and a
      large body of fresh troops. The enemy took road the toward the river
      at Harper's Ferry and at Sheppardstown, and he was pursuing them and
      shelling their retreat with great loss. In several contests Monday
      where they made a stand, our troops charged on them with such vigor
      that they fell back from point to point in great haste. The battles
      and advantages obtained on Monday are thought to be superior in
      importance than that of Sunday.
      Drayton's South Carolina brigade is entirely gone - either killed,
      wounded, or prisoners. The 17th Michigan, a new regiment, "done up"
      this brigade, first with bullets, finally with bayonets.
      Howell Cobb was wounded and taken prisoner, and will be back in
      Frederick sooner than he boasted he would.
      Gen. McClellan was pushing on them last evening, however, very close,
      and had already sent to the rear 8,000 prisoners and four batteries.
      Col. Stroge of the 19th Virginia and Col. James of the 3d South
      Carolina were killed on Sunday last. Their bodies were left in our
      possession.
      The South Carolina Brigade was severely handled.

      -----<>-----

      THE WAR IN WESTERN VIRGINIA

      -----<>-----

      The Fighting at Charleston - The Rebels
      Severely Handled - The Destruction of
      the Village - Orderly Retreat of Col.
      Lightburn.

      GALLIPOLIS, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

      No particulars of the Charleston fight have been received. All
      reports, however, agree that the Rebels were severely handled, and
      repulsed with great loss. Col. Lightburn gave the citizens an hour's
      notice to leave the town before the place was destroyed. Lightburn's
      forces marched through the place in perfect order, taking the Ripley
      road, going toward Ravenswood, on the Ohio River, where they arrived
      this evening, bringing his baggage train through in safety. Steamers
      have been sent to his assistance. The 47th Ohio, 9th Virginia, and 2d
      Virginia Cavalry, who were cut off at Summerville, succeeded in
      joining Lightburn, and were in the Charleston fight.
      This place is full of refugee contrabands, who came down the Kanawha
      in boats, most of whom are in a destitute condition. There are 500
      sick and wounded soldiers here, sent from Charleston before the fight.
      The enemy is supposed to be moving slowly down the Kanawha.

      -----<>-----

      Guerrillas Routed

      QUINCY, Ill., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      Col. McNeil had a two hours' fight with Porter's gang of guerrillas,
      near Shelburne, yesterday, resulting in the complete rout of the
      latter, with the loss of 2 killed and a number wounded. Col. McNeil
      captured 20 wagons and a number of horses and guns.
    • Teej Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
        Brian Downey wrote:

        <Snip>

        > BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
        > comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in
        > Richmond!

        Brian,

        I've done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period.
        And you're right about how the accounts differed. If the piece
        originated with the Richmond paper and the battle was a success, it was
        a sound beating with the "enemy" being driven back towards Washington.
        If it was less than a success the story was still printed but with words
        like "temporary setback" included or "the numbers of the enemy proved to
        be too great, still the men of (plug in whichever unit that was
        engaged)engaged the enemy with boldness and gallantry."
        One thing that surprised me was entire dispatches and orders were often
        printed within a day or so of the battle. One other thing I found very
        interesting was the Richmond papers would often print the same story as
        it appeared in the Washington Star side by side of their own account.

        Regards,
        Teej