Re: [TalkAntietam] Little Known Places at Antietam

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
      I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

    • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
        suggestions...

        The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
        positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

        Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

        Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

        Bill Christen
      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
          Here are a few suggestions I would add...

          The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
          through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

          The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
          been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
          some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
          the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

          The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
          farm, but few actually visit the spot.

          The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
          the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
          readily accessible, but rarely visited.

          The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
          but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
          and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
          pivoted along the crest line.

          The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
          alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
          battlefield.

          The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
          Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

          All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          tlivesey@...
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
            Bill;

            Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
            the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
            Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
            campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
            my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

            As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
            read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
            West Woods area.

            As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
            Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
            the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
            Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
            where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
            Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
            time he was shot in the neck?

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

            Edward Lee

            > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
            battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
            > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
            >
            > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
            >
            > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
            he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

            > Bill Christen

            Service.