Captain Samuel P. Dick 9 PA Reserves

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
      Does anyone have the reply that Sam Dick sent to Carman respecting his
      actions at Antietam? I'm guessing Tom Clemens would be my best bet, but
      thought I'd put it out. Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
        Steve,
        There is nothing in my records for Capt. Sam Dick at all. I know he commanded the regiment in the battle, did Carman write to him? Do you have something suggesting they spoke? If you do I'd like to have a copy.
        Sometimes when Camran wrote to veterans they used the same paper to respond, so we know what he asked them. Other times we can only guess by the responses given.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
          Tom,

          Here is the letter Carman sent to Dick in 1897. I'd love to find the
          response. Thanks.

          http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/carman.jpg

          Scott Hann tells me that Pvt. Samuel Johnson on the 9th PA Reserves
          captured the flag of the 1st Texas and won the Medal of Honor for his
          trouble. He says they also captured another flag, but doesn't know
          which one that is.

          Cheers,
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2008
            Wow, I have seen a few of these letters since some people simply wrote responses on the bottom of the original letter and sent them back. It seems odd that Dick did not respond, so maybe there are missing letters, etc. I'll keep an eye out for it. Is it possible to get a photocopy of this letter? I'd like to include it in directory of Carman letters. Of course I'll credit your collection, etc. There is a letter to Carman from Twiggs describing his wounding and capture, so Scott is very happy.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2008
              Tom,

              Thanks for the info. Another mystery to solve. I'll get you a copy of
              the letter as soon as it flattens out and I can scan it.

              And, yes, Scott is very happy about the info you got him.

              Thanks,
              Stephen Recker

            • TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
                Hello,

                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the TalkAntietam
                group.

                File : /SunArticle.jpg
                Uploaded by : mjcllm <mjcllm@...>
                Description : Bloody Lane Painting by Hope Discovered

                You can access this file at the URL:

                Regards,

                mjcllm <mjcllm@...>
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
                  Mike;

                  Yahoo will NOT let me log into the link.....

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
                    Hello,

                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the TalkAntietam
                    group.

                    File : /Tactical Formations of Lesser Units_1.pdf
                    Uploaded by : oldskirmishman <blink88@...>
                    Description : Tactical Formations Document

                    oldskirmishman <blink88@...>