Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Little Known Places at Antietam

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
      See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
      that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
      you should be able to see from there.

      Regards,
      TR Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      kamills wrote:

      > Since we are talking about landscapes, where exactly is Nicodemous
      > Heights? I have been to Antietam many times, but still have a
      > hard time with this location.
      >
      > Thank you
      > Andy

      > Tony,
      > Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the
      > National Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back.
      > Second alternative is the ridge just toteh north, but I think the
      > cemetery is correct. Surprisingly good view from there.

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
        I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

      • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
          suggestions...

          The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
          positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

          Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

          Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

          Bill Christen
        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
            Here are a few suggestions I would add...

            The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
            through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

            The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
            been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
            some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
            the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

            The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
            farm, but few actually visit the spot.

            The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
            the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
            readily accessible, but rarely visited.

            The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
            but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
            and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
            pivoted along the crest line.

            The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
            alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
            battlefield.

            The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
            Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

            All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

            Regards,
            TR Livesey
            tlivesey@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
              Bill;

              Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
              the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
              Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
              campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
              my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

              As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
              read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
              West Woods area.

              As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
              Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
              the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
              Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
              where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
              Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
              time he was shot in the neck?

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

              Edward Lee

              > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
              battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
              > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
              >
              > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
              >
              > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
              he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

              > Bill Christen

              Service.