Re: [TalkAntietam] Letter Transcripts from John S. Weiser, Co. G, 130th Vol. Inf. Rgt.

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 19, 2008
      Absolutely!

      From: "thirdpaclugh" <thirdpaclugh@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:23 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Letter Transcripts from John S. Weiser,
      Co. G, 130th Vol. Inf. Rgt.

      Hey,

      I have transcripts of five letters from Pvt. John S. Weiser
      before and
      after the battle of Antietam. I will post them on the list if
      anyone
      is interested. I procured them from the park ranger several years
      ago.
      The descriptions are quite vivid and interesting.

      Let me know if it is worth the time to copy them and place them
      on file.

      Dave Clugh
    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 19, 2008
        Ditto! I'd love to see if they mention LTC Levi Maish or Lt. William
        A. Givler.
      • David Clugh
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 19, 2008
          I have created a new file in the file section of the group page that include the letters. They are on a single document with five pages one for each letter.

          Enjoy the reading.

          BTW. the spelling is exactly as was transcribed. J.S.W. did not do much punctuation...He must have been fairly educated as otherwise he does a fair job in describing things.

          Dave Clugh

          Sergeant, 3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.

          www.hmisite.com

        • robert blama

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
              David,

              I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
              filtered the letters out?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008

                Click on "Files" in the links on the upper left of this page. The
                letters are there except they are in Word 2007--docx file extension.
                Microsoft has a compatability package to download if you can't read
                docx files.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                  Larry;

                  It appears I am not getting them at all!

                  I do not use the web based board.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                    It would be nice if he could post them directly rather than as
                    attachments.

                    Click on "Files" in the links on the upper left of this page. The
                    letters are there except they are in Word 2007--docx file
                    extension.
                    Microsoft has a compatability package to download if you can't
                    read
                    docx files.

                    > David,
                    >
                    > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                    > filtered the letters out?

                    > from

                  • Jim Rosebrock
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                      Here are the letters as a word 2003 doc attached to this emai for anyone having difficulties

                      It would be nice if he could post them directly rather than as
                      attachments.

                      Click on "Files" in the links on the upper left of this page. The
                      letters are there except they are in Word 2007--docx file
                      extension.
                      Microsoft has a compatability package to download if you can't
                      read
                      docx files.

                      Larry

                      --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@. ..>
                      wrote:

                      > David,
                      >
                      > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                      > filtered the letters out?

                      > from

                    • Jim Rosebrock
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                        Let me try again

                        wrote:

                        > David,
                        >
                        > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                        > filtered the letters out?

                        > from

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                          Jim,

                          You can't send attachments to the group. Yahoo deletes them.

                          Gerry,

                          If you want to read what Jim posted, go to the Yahoo site. Log in and you can read them there. That's what the files feature is for.

                          Harry

                          wrote:

                          > David,
                          >
                          > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                          > filtered the letters out?

                          > from

                        • Jim Rosebrock
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                            THanks.  Didnt know that when I tried to send it out

                            From: Jim Rosebrock <pointsalines@ yahoo.com>

                            To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com

                            Date: Friday, June 20, 2008, 7:15 PM

                            From: G E Mayers <gerry1952@verizon. net>